Nagato / Mutsu superstructure

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Mark41, May 31, 2020.

1. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Hi
    Does anyone have good quality superstructure plans for an IJN Nagato / Mutsu?
    I acquired a Nagato hull and old parts for a superstructure from the late Dan McGuffin's widow and finally getting around to building it. Probably not going to battle at this time. He acquired it I believe from Swampworks and it has a bag full of superstructure parts but I cannot make out what deck they are for.
    If anyone has the inclination to make one from a 3D printer, please PM me for further discussion.

thanks
    Mark

2. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Progress.
    For the seasoned veterans who built the Nagato, I have one piece left that I can't figure out where it goes. Can you help with some insight?

Attached Files:

3. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Send me a friend request on Facebook and I'll send you pic's of mine. Bob Amend Gettysbur114th.

4. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Thanks Bob..
    I PM'd your facebook page.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The top piece you have on the bow section is one level too low. You missing piece goes under it at the front. There’s a bid open deck under the current top precise.

6. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Thanks Bob!
    That helps a lot.
    Mark

7. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  8. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

What is that yellow material you are using for the structor?

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I believe BC made that about 10 years ago. Not sure if they still make it like that.

10. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Hi Guys
    I'm now working on the superstructure and decking, but have a question about whether the 1st level on the weather deck to the step deck of the hull needs to be penetrable??? I'm hoping to leave this impenetrable, but eventually this will be a combat ship, so I am asking the collective gurus for guidance. Its currently not glued down so making the changes will be easier if I need to add penetrable areas.

Mark
    IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

Selley likes this.
  11. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

If it is above the main deck it don't have to be penetrable.

12. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

As always, I recommend looking through the rules vice going to the forum, because responses might not reflect requirements. I would say the short answer is that most would need to be penetrable, and that hull would require a good amount of work to get it in compliance with rules.

Here are some relevant portions of the rules, but I recommend looking through the full version on the IRCWCC website:
    upload_2020-7-6_12-30-11.png
    Nagato bulged

On ships which have casemate mounted cannons, the cupolas may be constructed of impenetrable material. A 1/8" wide strip on each side of the cupola may also be impenetrable. If a flat bulkhead area between cupolas is inset more than 1/2" from the edge of the gunwale the entire casemate area (cupolas and all flat bulkhead areas inset greater than 1/2") may be made impenetrable.

a. Measurement of the inset of casemates is determined by scale plans, not actual built measurements. In the case of a discrepancy between plans, the plans in question should be submitted to the Executive Board and the Casemate Committee for review and a final decision. This is to keep captains from modifying the location of casemates to allow making the casemates hard.

The following are examples of classes and their maximum deck and stringer hard area. In cases where there are questions, the drawing shall be final.
    upload_2020-7-6_12-32-37.png
    Nagato (Bulged)

13. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I was not thinking about the question enough. Forgot about casements ECT.

14. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Kevin
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I am a ways off from making it a combat ship, but prepping for when it is a combat ready ship and won't need to re-do the superstructure.

Mark

15. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Making progress but I super glued one block in 1 deck too high on the 9th deck and didn't realize it until now.

IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1810.JPG