NAMBA Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by rcengr, Oct 28, 2014.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

@tugboat - rule set shouldn't matter, nor should it matter who paid for the site insurance. For instance, if a fast electric club insures a site then NAMBA members should be able to use it to battle, even if unaffiliated with any NAMBA club. Conversely, if IRC pays the insurance on a pond, then the fast electric guys would be covered if they raced there, even though they were unaffiliated with the IRC.
    At least that would be how I interpret the information, does the insurance information support a different ruling?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I was speaking of an unsanctioned battle, but got the answer I wanted :)

3. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

OK I have a question to se if I understand it right .
    1 The main body of the club is IRWCC , NAMBA registered, ok now your local club say Buckeye Battle Squadron is a chapter , they have members in IRWCC, They use 2 different ponds , 1 is main use and the 2 is a back up for whatever reason. For local a battles.
    Ok now the BBS Has say 4 memebers. according to Namba rules not enough to register . They need to insure both sites Right?
    Now does the BBS pick up the tab for this or can they go through the IRWCC to get the site certificate? Also doe IRWCC go through all the local groups and cover their ponds ?
    Just trying to understand , because I am also with a small group and this will put a very hard strain on our limited funds, because we also end up using up to 2 or 3 different ponds for 1 split traveling , 2 low water levels , 3 availability. so we could look at having to buy $150.00
    Buddy

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Mark
    I happened to know I racer guy and talked to him about this . you may find this surprising it opened my eyes!! According to their rules and the deal they have with the landlord no other types of boats or boating are allowed any time. So even if you have a race boat and racing is done for the day , you decided to put out a sail boat to stroll around the pond , you would be breaking their rules and could face being put off the site and lose membership. This seems awfully harsh to me but way it was told to me this was the only way they could secure the site for racing , and another thing was no gas powered boats and no gas powered generators where allowed , Thewy carry a lot of batteries !
    Buddy

5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Buddy, I'm looking at the membership list (IRCWCC) and I don't see any Buckeye Battle Squadron members?
    IRCWCC will pick up site insurance for sites that the IRCWCC uses for it's sanctioned battles.
    Carl

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That doesn't surprise me Buddy. My interpretation was from the insurance underwriter's view point. Of course the site owner is going to say who, how, and when the site can be used. But least the site certificate should cover multiple types of events if the site owner is amenable.

7. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

There are a lot of different issues under discussion here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Site certificate: Even if NAMBA members are using a pond or lake for which a site certificate has been obtained, and even if all written safety rules are being followed, the owner of the land where the battle area is located is the ultimate authority on who, what, where, when and how the property can be used. Even though the NAMBA-issued site certificate insures the owner against liability damages (up to $2,000,000 aggregate) no matter which NAMBA member is involved in the accident, the NAMBA member's insurance coverage is revocable if he/she is using the property in violation of the owner's rules. For example, if the owner prohibits gas-powered race boats on the pond, and after a battle, a NAMBA combat skipper fires up a race boat and an injury or property damage ensues, the owner may be covered, but the NAMBA member will most likely not be.

Safety rule violations: Deliberate violation of safety rules is grounds for denial of a NAMBA member's insurance claim, and ultimately could lead to the member's loss of membership. That potential extends to the club itself, if investigation reveals that the club leadership knew about the behavior, but allowed it anyway. What is a safety rule? The primary rule set is found in the NAMBA rulebook. That set represents the minimum safety requirements for RC warship combat. A club may have additional safety rules it has adopted, and for insurance purposes, those rules automatically become NAMBA safety rules for that club. If there is a conflict, the more stringent of the rules takes precedent. Finally, the site owner may add additional safety restrictions, and those restrictions also become NAMBA safety rules for that location.

Hope this helps.

Rob Wood
    NAMBA Combat Chair

8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Are the combat rules listed in the Namba rules?

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

10. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Thanks Nick!

Rob

11. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Actually, in addition to the combat-specific safety rules in the NAMBA rulebook, there are other safety rules that pertain to everyone, whether combat or racing captains. I recommend that anyone interested in NAMBA membership, or in the insurance that comes with it, read the NAMBA rulebook - at least the safety section (Section 8):

http://www.namba.com/content/librar...lebook.pdf

Rob Wood
    NAMBA Combat Chair

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

thank you for answering my questions, I was using the BBS as a example. We were at one time IRWCC members.
    Buddy

13. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I am aware that the safety rules are included. I was wanting to know if the rules governing the actual running of the competition are in the Namba rules? Construction rules etc.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

As far as I remember from skimming, nothing other than safety rules for Warship Combat.

15. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

The team that drafted the NAMBA combat rules decided not to go into construction and gameplay rules, for the simple reason that there are simply too many variations of them, and they are subject to change without notice, depending on how individual organizations handle rule changes. Establishing a set of basic safety rules that could stand on their own, regardless of the particular "flavor" of combat involved, was hard enough, and took us weeks of discussion and endless rounds of edits.
    Consider that we have several varieties of 1:144 Big Gun, Fast Gun and Treaty, 1:72, 1:96, Age of Sail, Ironclads, and maybe more that I'm not listing. Now imagine keeping all of those rule sets up-to-date in a single document.
    Rob Wood
    NAMBA Combat Chair

16. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I think that was a great idea.. and it wont cancel the insurance if a stringer is in the wrong place or the year of the ship is wrong. Those are local club rules and as such Namba doesn't care.. its not in their rule book.

That is an issue that keeps coming up with MWC insurance... in the end they are worried about safety.. not if there is a turret missing or other game rules.

Thanks for the work on the safety rules.

17. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

a couple of years ago, I was talking to Kathy (the then NAMBA sect.) and she said we (the IRC) was the safest group in NAMBA. I had the NAMBA rules concerning Insurance changed about 13-14 years ago after talking to all of the clubs doing R/C warship combat and getting there agreement of the rules changes. The Insurance rules have certain exceptions just for Combat ships, ending the arguments that NAMBA would not cover R/C Combat events.

18. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

NAMBA has been very supportive of RC Warship Combat. If there is an instance of the insurance not honoring a claim, I'm not aware of it.

Rob