Narvik Class Destroyer

Discussion in 'Construction' started by webwookie, Mar 15, 2008.

1. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I recently ordered a BattlersConnection kit, along with a handfull of other parts with the intention of building it for Big Gun. Does anybody here have experience with building the kit, and if so, what are some of the quirks that I should be aware of once I begin tackling the project? Additionally, I am anticipating moving to eastern Virginia in a couple of months so I am planning to build the kit in accordance with CBG rules. If somebody knows of a prop/gear ratio/motor and voltage combiation that works for running at scale speed, I'd be very greatful of you could also share that information.
    I already have a scratch-built Mogador that is nearing completion but has yet to be armed and prior to that, I had built a USS Gearing that has, unfortunately since succumbed to rot so I don't consider myself a rookie in working on such small vessels.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are the CBG rules similar to the MABG rules? I think MABG is the big group in VA...

6V would probably be good for getting on speed.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... A Narvik... That's going to be an interesting project there. Seeing as you've already got some experience with bitty boats, you should do fine. How much experience do you have with Big Gun torpedo systems? Getting functional weapons in will probably be your biggest challenge. You've got to build lightweight weaponry and gas system, while still getting the power and reliability of larger weapon systems. I'm not very familiar with CBG rules, so I can't say for sure whether you'll want reloading torps or not. Whatever you decide on, let me know and I can give you some pointers.

What I can say for sure is that the Narvik Zerstorers are fast and tippy. If you don't have a smooth hand, you could easily roll your ship right over when trying to turn at speed. As for getting up to speed, most of the cruisers and destroyers I've seen use small surplus motors powered by 7.2v sub-C packs. The surplus motors are "RS-365SH" motors by Mabuchi. Two of 'em can get a cruiser up to 37 knots on 7.2v, and on 8.4v that same cruiser hits 43 knots. The other option that I've seen are 22mm or 26mm surplus maxon motors, but while those draw much less current, they also require a higher voltage to get you up to speed.

4. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I definitely don't have any prior experience with arming the torpedos on a destroyer; on my Gearing, I armed a single 5" gun in the rearmost turret and provided it with a limited arc of fire to the rear. I had started working on arming a second cannon to aim forward but it was at that point in time that I discovered that the hull's integrity had become questionable so that project was shelved.
    Thus far, I'm looking at loading up the hull with a Rock-the-boat regulator and 16g CO2 cartridges to arm torpedos and if I find any extra available displacement (I'm not counting on it), I might try arming one rear or one forward-facing gun. I probably will need to

After a second look, it does seem that I'll be closest to the MABG, so I do believe I'll execute my build accordingly.

5. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Looking around online earlier today, I happened upon these motors: Visit this site What I'm wondering is whether or not a pair of these would have enough power to get the destroyer up to speed. Previously, on my USS Gearing, I didn't need to run my motors anywhere remotely close to full throttle to achieve regulation speed and I'd certainly like to absolutely minimize the size and weight of everything, motors included. I don't remember the size of the motors I used but I believe they were at least 380 size or larger. I have definitely decided that I will be going with ESC(s) for speed control.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

No, those motors will NOT get you up to speed. They are high-RPM motors which draw tons of power when under load. And they don't have enough oomph to get your ship up to speed. You should be looking for something more like this:
    http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/cat_files/rs_365sh.pdf
    Two of these on 7.2v will get you up to 36-38 knots easy. Bump it up to 8.4v and you'll get up to 43 knots. Just be sure your boat has a properly sharpened bow. A blunt bow, improperly adjusted ballast, etc can all cost you speed.

7. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Are the 365-size motors best used in a direct-drive configuration or are they best used with reduction gearing?

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Carl used direct drive, the same as most of the rest of the WWCC. Was that the best? I don't know, but it worked.