Nats roomie?

Discussion in 'MWC (defunct)' started by Tugboat, May 22, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Anyone still looking for one?

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Me!I was kind of hoping to mix it up with someone not from Region 3 though. I will gladly be your roomie if no one else responds though:D

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Hi Tuggy,

Sorry, Lee and I are already rooming. We are planning on getting there the 14th, so we can relax a bit and b.s. / drink beer with others. Look forward to meeting you and PO Bütts.

By the way... having "Tuggy" and "Butts" in the same room.... may lead to some comments. Be prepared. :laugh:

4. Tugboat

Thank Gawd my nickname isn't 'pushie', pinchie, or 'pokie'...

Mike, last time I was at Nats, people of all regions were in and out of the room. Watch them to make sure that they don't leave a few 'presents' in your boat while they visit :)

I'll reserve the room, and we can split it 50/50, ja?

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I can attest that Mike is a model roommate. He doesn't snore (at least not louder than I do), considerate (no clothing all over the place), likes to converse (about ships even!), and doesn't mind the smell of dope in the room while patching ships. :)

6. Tugboat

This'll be good, I didn't want to spend the whole room fee for a week by myself! I'm arriving in Oakboro sometime Saturday, I'm only 3 1/2 hours south. So, figure between noon and 1 PM.

And with that done, I need to mail a check to Bob and spend some time detailing Lil Scharnie. Brian K hooked me up with secondaries and lifeboats :)

7. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Sounds good... I might think about getting there a little earlier then. I was gonna shoot for Sat evening. I'll play it by ear. I have had some stuff bombard my schedule (two out of state weddings and a TAD trip between now and then) and my chances of getting the QE done in time are looking grim. I am debating between just pouring all my efforts into making the Zrinyi really nice, pushing for the QE, and whipping out the Java (maybe... 60% or so of the effort to build QE required).

8. Tugboat

I'd go for the low-hanging fruit. A functional ship in the hand is a lot less to stress over with like 7 weeks remaining. That's why I'm running Lil Scharnie. I don't want anything extra to worry about :) Bring your QE with you, if you get free time at night (i.e. no massive repairs to make) you can work on it while I work on my project, whatever it winds up being at that point (assuming that I don't have massive reapirs to make!). I'll have my portable shop with me :)

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I agree with Tug. Put your effort into one ship and make sure it works. Bring the spare(s) to work on if you have time. But more important the vets can look over the progress on your spares and give advice. I've seen many people show up with a brand new ship, most spend more time fixing it than battling.

10. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Tugboat,
    What type of things do you carry in your portable shop? When I have traveled (3 - 5 hour drives) for club build days or meets I seem to pack everything but the kitchen sink. Any input is appreciated.

11. Tugboat

For club build days, we're usually in my shop, so I have way more tools for those days. I'm sure that I've left stuff off my list; I just got home from work and I'm weak from hunger :)

Always carry:
    Dremel rotary tool (lots of bits)
    Dremel Multimax (oscillating tool) (some bits)
    Drill (beyond usual bits, 2 sizes of sanding drum)
    Screwdrivers
    Small hand saw
    Xacto knife clone (many blades, several small saws)
    Pin vise (really small hand-powered drill)
    Pliers (big ones, little ones, at least two different needlenose)
    diagonal cutters (sometimes called dykes)
    metal and wood file set
    copper tubing bender
    pipe cutter
    1/2" diameter countersink tool (used to deburr copper tubing)
    Solder gun
    solder pen
    solder and flux
    combo wrenches for the guns (I thnk 1/2" and 7/16" but I'd have to go check)

Expendables:
    small screw and washer set (2.5mm thru 4mm, plus 4-40) (After I had to run up and down the line at a Brouhaha to find one screw to fit a motor [thanks to Bob for having it], I ordered 100 of each from McMaster. So if you need one at a battle, I've got 'em, in stainless :)
    fiber wshers for clippard fittings
    O-rings for guns (for Foster and BC breech, and for the magazine cap)
    teflon tape
    delrin sealing things for 1/4" copper pipe (again, thanks to Bob for the tip) (if you see a thread here, like 'Bob is handy to have around', it's true)
    CA glue (thin and gel)
    West System Epoxy (gallon size, with the fast hardener [#206]) (if you need some at a battle, it takes me a year to go thru a gallon, so don't be shy)
    fiberglass (very fine stuff, and some 4 ounce medium)
    balsa and silkspan ad dope of course
    Scrap wood bucket (never know when you'll need some for repairs)
    Microswitches rated for at least 10A
    Switches for transmitter
    Spares of nearly everything replaceable in ship (esp: dogbones, props, gears, motors, clippard parts, gas lines in 1/16 and 1/8 ID)

Sometimes carry:
    Scrollsaw (3" or 5") (especially if I'm working on a project)
    Japanese saw (2 different ones)
    Drill press attachment for Dremel
    Router attachment for dremel
    Lightweight router table (really, lightweight enough that I can't use it like a real router table, but it does well cutting a 1/8" lip in 3/8" ply)
    blowtorch, solder and flux for copper tubing (only if I'm going to be working on a project)
    Rotary cutter, cutting board, and spare blades (got this idea from a quilter, goes thru balsa and thin plastic or basswood really easily. Fingers too.)

Also carry totally overboard first aid kit. Short of Tyler and I having to code someone lakeside(Please God, forbid!), it'll take care of most likely accidents :) [also has wonder drug called immodium for Allies that sh** themselves upon facing my mighty 2.5 unit WWI armored cruiser] ;) [okay, realistically they might sh** themselves laughing, but still...]

12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I have decided to scratch the "Dremel" from my packing list... :woot:

[​IMG]

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Don't worry Spudsy, Tugboat's got a first aid kit

14. Tugboat

Actually, yeah, it would have the stuff to do that. I'd probably get Tyler to do the sewing (since he's the doc), but I have the toys in stock. Short of the lidocaine to numb up the thumb lol... But Spudsy's tough. He don't need no numbing.

15. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I'll 2nd Tuggy, bring everything, what ever you leave at home you'll need. I don't bring West Systems stuff or a scroll saw or other larger tools.
    Most of the guys I go to battles with Tyler, Andy, Peter, Ron, Steve, Kim... pack much lighter because the know I have everything. If you know Tug will be there and have all his stuff you can leave some of it at home. I hand out tons of tools and materials at battles.
    Start with too much and work back from there. You also travel with less the better your ships get.

16. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I normally load up everything and go from there. I have that fear of not packing something I will need.

This year Jeff is riding with me to NATS. I will pack up and put a lawn chair on the roof for him...

17. Tugboat

I've actually started working on my joinery making boxes to carry the tools in :) I like finger joints, but I'm branching out into dovetails. But regardless of how the tools are packed, the pickup will be loaded tight for the trip.

18. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Its the result that matters. :p

19. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We'll trade you any day. Soon as we finish orders, we're packing up the entire shop and house for a 900 mile move! =]

20. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Thanks Tug, I have most of the stuff on the list, just need a better way to do my packout.