need class 5 ish ship

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by JasonC, Oct 24, 2008.

1. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i have been thinking and i think i wan to get a class 5 or 6 ship for my next large ship but am unsure on what to get it will be a treaty ship. now i have no preferences to any ship this side and it could be axis or allied just putting out there what do yall know in this size that is a fiberglass hull that would be fun to build over the winter.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a fast (Scharny) or slow (Konig) ship.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Jason,
    I have a battleship you may be interested in though it's one of the slower Class 6 Treaty ships. A few years ago Ralph and I collaborated on a new and more accurate Nelson/Rodney hull and I got a free hull out of it.

Since then I've reinforced the hull sides with an extra layer of glass, made a fiberglass deck with molded access hatch openings, cut plexiglass hatches, and drilled the holes for prop shaft installation. I have a set of main and secondary turrets made by Ralph and a detailed 1/144 scale plan. This class is allowed dual sidemounted guns to port and starboard.

After three winters I still haven't got around to completing the HMS Rodney. I have a more advanced Class 7 HMS Vanguard model in the works and a smaller ship or two to build this winter. I'll also be starting an HMS QE/Valiant hull project and would rather have another QE than a Rodney.

The Class 5.5 QE Class is an excellent battler, as Marty Hayes and I demonstrated with our Warspites at NABS CANNATS events. The QE Class has about the same speed as the Nelsons in Treaty (identical speeds in IRCWCC) but is more maneuverable, being a 6" shorter ship with dual rudders. Unfortunately it will take until at least April to make the QE mold. Ralph is still making a QE hull that represents the ships in the 1930s before Warspite, QE, and Valiant were reconstructed. You can get one from him for a winter project.

Bob

4. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

I have one of Ralph's Richelieu hulls.