Need help choosing a radio system

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by mbf2002, Mar 8, 2019.

1. mbf2002

mbf2002 New Member

Hi All,

I am building out my first ship (a old swamp works USS Northampton/Houston kit) that I got 20 years ago. At that time, I had a 6 channel airtronics Vanguard radio that was converted to a surface frequency. That said, the batteries on it are blown and the charger is gone. I think it may make more sense just to scrap the old radio and get a modern 2.4 ghz system going.

1. Any advice on what radio/receiver to buy? specific recommendations would be hugely appreciated I tried doing my own homework on this and started drowning in the terminology around transmitter modes/etc.
    2. Should I specifically get a waterproof receiver? again, specific recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

3. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg This is what I’m running. For what I spent it’s been great. I would suggest epoxy the receiver to water proof

Beaver likes this.
  4. mbf2002

mbf2002 New Member

Thanks all! Why battery set up do you use to power the recover on this? I had the boat all wired up to run on 6v gel cell and wasn’t necessarily planning to switch my running gear to liPo or anything like that.

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Any 6v power source will work. 6v gel cell should work fine.

ZARUBA1987 likes this.
  6. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Yes your good to go with 6v

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

If I was buying today... Turnigy Qx7, smallest SBUS receiver I can get that supports telemetry (will tell you at TX if you loose signal) and run serial bus to clusters of servos.... cleans up the wiring a ton.