Need Help with Product Categories for Strike Website

Discussion in 'General' started by KeriMorgret, Jul 31, 2015.

1. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We're starting an overhaul of the products section on the Strike Models website, and could use your help on how we have items labeled, grouped, and organized. You can visit the link (Products | Strike Models) and see how things are currently, if you haven't already stared at it too long already to try to find what you're looking for.

Here's what we are thinking of the layout for the /products/ page, and how to organize the section in the future. Each of the bullet points would eventually get their own page. Right now, we'd link to the proper section in some of the larger pages.

Your thoughts, please, on if these are logical groupings, good category names, good names for the products, and so on. We want people in the hobby to be able to find what they're looking for!
    • Hulls
      • fiberglass kits
      • lasercut plywood kits
      • paper ship plans (with ribs)
    • pneumatic
      • clippard parts/valves
      • firing board
      • fittings
      • regulators
      • solenoids
      • tanks
      • tubing
    • Cannons (single page for all)
      • big gun
      • fast gun
      • sunglasses/safety glasses
    • pumps
    • plans
    • supplies
      • ammo
      • balsa
      • sigment
      • silkspan
    • movement/maneuvering (running hardware)
      • gear boxes
      • motors
      • props
      • rudders, rudder arms/rudder gears
      • servos
      • universals/bushings
      • Wire, connectors
      • link to speed controllers
    • Superstructure, turrets, and decorations
      • cage masts
      • flags and assorted “bling”
      • sound modules
      • superstructure sets
      • turrets
    • speed controllers
    • Radio and Radio Gear
      • water boxes
      • radio
    Thank you so much!

NASAAN101 and Scharnhorst56 like this.
  2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

You could always organize it to a warship theme:

hulls="Shipyard"
    pnuematics & guns="Fire Control"
    pumps="Damage Control"
    plans="Dockyard"
    Supplies="Supply Room"
    movement="Engineering"
    Superstructure="Topsides" or "Superstructure"
    Radio="Radio Room"

3. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I know it's not directly related to the subject, but please put up pictures of all items, individually, not grouped together, especially the items that do not have one (not just hulls either).

Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  4. absolutek

It'd also be nice if non-american residents could order right from the website. I don't need to type up an email when I get the urge to order something from that other company in Florida.

Nick Park likes this.
  5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That sounds unamerican.

6. absolutek

Well, I am Canadian so I guess so :p

7. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

I really like your layout idea, Keri!:)

However, I have an idea for another page. It would be cool if you guys had a page for 'coming soon' things, like new hulls in the works, and other new products. Thanks!:);):)

8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

9. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I second that request.

10. Cid

Cid Member

Yes pictures of items would be very nice

11. KeriMorgret

I agree, fresh pictures of everything would be awesome, and they are needed. We'd also love to be able to spend several thousand dollars and overhaul the website and ecommerce site, get real-time shipping information in, shipping for other countries, and so on, as it's all needed. I've been out of steady employment for the past several months, and have spent a lot of my time taking care of our daughter so Stephen could continue with running the business.

Editing the product page layout is something that can be done with no monetary investment and only a small investment in time, and can really help people find what they are looking for. It'll serve as a good guide for how we want to further arrange and subdivide the product pages. We're aware that there are bigger things to be done, and we're trying to do what we can now with the resources that we have.

We do appreciate your feedback, and thank you!

12. absolutek

Not necessary to do any of the things I suggested. Not expecting it to be done right away either, I have a young child as well and a wife with a disability, I do understand the constraints on time.

NickMyers likes this.
  13. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I second on the pictures. One of the biggest inhibitors to my spending money is a lack of detailed pictures. If I cant see every side/angle of a hull I wouldn't buy it until I saw it in person. I truly don't understand the trend (not just with Strike) to withhold product pictures... its the main selling point.

Don't spend a fortune on the site, just add pictures, perhaps a link on each product linking it to a folder filled with pictures so we can all see what we need to see to make a buying decision.

You could however move to a shopping cart system that integrates with USPS so you can provide tracking info. I am not sure if Amazon does but it is not expensive and many folks already have amazon accounts.

14. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

I like everyones ideas.
    Nikkie

15. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

For everybody that bitches about the site, send them a xeroxed black and white catalog with grainy little pictures and let them order from that! ;)

Considering the custom nature of the products and low volumes the hobby entails, I think the current site is appropriate.

ST

KeriMorgret likes this.
  16. absolutek

I don't think anybody is bitching about the site or being disrespectful. We all appreciate strike and what they bring to the hobby. You're right their site is appropriate, the people here are just making some suggestions which Keri and Stephen are free to ignore. It certainly won't stop me from ordering stuff from them.

17. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Steve why are you so upset? Keri asked for suggestions and we have offered them. Do you ask for pictures when considering buying a used ship? Why is that different with new parts?

This had been a very nice discussion... perhaps you can turn that frown upside-down.

18. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Steve is just grumpy because he hasn't battled this year with that QE he built, just a normal reaction to no battle time/too much wife time.

absolutek likes this.
  19. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Possibly!

But really, I was just trying to remind everybody how it used to be, and I guess the topic is a bit touchy with me. I've been involved with two small scale eCommerce projects of my own and professionally been supporting commercial eCommerce and retail POS (point of sale) for the past ten years. I don't think people realize how much effort a small scale web sales operation can take, or if you farm it out to third party (Amazon, etc.) how you get raped by transaction fees (especially low volume vendors). It's not getting easier either. Visa is pushing new PCI security standards every other day it seems and vendors are always playing a game of catch up. Hell, my primary POS software vendor still hasn't settled on a compliant chip enabled credit card swipe and Visa says chip readers need to be deployed by October.

Give me mail order catalogs and check payments any day!

FYI, started working on the QE again and trying another motor setup in the Moggy. Hoping to have a ship or two running for September battling.

KeriMorgret and Beaver like this.
  20. KeriMorgret

We have gotten a lot of suggestions, that is true, but little on the actual thing I asked about. =]