Need tips on Derfflinger layout...that I can completely ignore or mess up!

Discussion in 'Construction' started by WillCover, Dec 23, 2014.

1. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Building my first glass hull ship. It came windows pre-cut ,missed all that fun, and I have all ribs reinforced. have 1/8 deck and 1/4 deck cut and fitted. Just wanted to see some ideas for magazine placement hatches etc. Pictures!
    CUT ONCE...Cuss TWICE!!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Best tip on that I got from Bob H, which is to look at your plans to see where the turrets go, and go ahead and mount your barbettes and guns, since they are the only internals that can't be moved. Everything else gets built around them. It's also nice to plan your deck layout so that you have the center section of the deck be a good-sized piece that can lift off with the supserstructure, but leave the guns and barbettes behind on the fore and aft deck. Or in Derf's case, lift off of the casement section. This lets you get at the gas bottle and battery between sorties without disturbing your cannons or having to undo the whole dang deck to do basic maintenance. I did that on my first ship (HMS Lion), the whole forward 2/3 of the deck was one piece. Ugh. Lesson learned on my part! :)

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

My derf has 3 deck sections. First ends just aft of the B turret. 2nd runs from there to juat forward of C. 3rd section runs from there aft.

My gun layout is a bit atypical and customized to our local style. 4 guns, half unit pump, cant sit in the fray. Dual sterns, haymaker and then a gun in B, angled forqard and down for hunting certain things like convoy ships.
    20141227_122453.jpg 20141227_122501.jpg

WillCover and Tugboat like this.
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, Nick, I see that you use the same elegant gun barrel mounting system that I do :)

NickMyers likes this.
  5. NickMyers

The 'oops blocks broke, oh well, just ziptie em?' one? :) i'm a big fan

Tugboat likes this.
  6. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Which battling/rules format allows the Derf to have four guns and a 1/2 pump? We couldn't do that in the MWC rules.

7. NickMyers

Ircwcc has no prohibition on it

8. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Well, that is nice to know. So can I put 5 guns and a 1/2 unit pump in my HMS Barham and be legal?

9. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

yes, boats with 1/2 units can carry a 1/2 unit pump, very manly.

NickMyers likes this.
  10. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Thanks for the responses. I will move to the general section with other questions.

11. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I have every intention of demonstrating to Nick the folly of his ahhhh...... ummmm.... manly???? 1/2 unit pump:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if my .8GPM Mogador pump would be good enough in my Barham..................? NAH! ;)

Steve "Not Manly" Tyng

NickMyers likes this.
  13. NickMyers

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend that on a 26sec boat unless you're only battling with a few ships who aren't overly dangerous

Your persistent belief that I don't understand the ramifications of my choice is insulting, and your odd notion that no one has already demonstrated my sinkability with such a limitation amazingly arrogant. I look forward to perforating your hull extensively while sinking in a demonstration of my manliness. I shall aim to sink atop your ship's wreckage with my props in your funnel so that I may give final insult.

Panzer likes this.
  14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Now there's a man who knows where his priorities are. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! Who cares if you get sunk, as long as the pond is littered with the sunken wrecks of your foes. If I was an admiral in charge of a fleet, I'd want you in it. OTOH if I was a stoker in an engine room, I wouldn't want you for a captain...

PetrolHead951 and NickMyers like this.
  15. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Nick's layout work for a captain who knows when to run and when to pounce, but it is not a friendly layout for new captains. Two sides and a stern (one of which gets extra ammo) with a full unit pump would be much better for most captains.

16. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

So, if I put a 6 guns in my V.V. and a 1/2 unit pump, where does the extra gun go since it can't be in any of the main turrets? Can it go in a secondary turret? This would be cool and give you a stern sidemount. Awesome! That would have really helped many times years ago.

17. thegeek

1/2 unit pump in a V. V. isn't manly, it's stupid.

But if you wanted to utilize that aspect of the rule then you could do:
    Duel Bow 15 deg. off port
    Duel bow 15 deg. off Sbd.
    Duel stern straight off stern

This way you drive her like a 3 unit but it has the punch of Jeff's Yam.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Bad Keith. BAD

19. thegeek

So Keith are you putting a 1/2 unit pump in your BB?

20. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What may seem stupid for a battle might be extremely effective in campaign. One must not be so narrow minded as to eliminate possibilities.

And yes, you could put 6 guns up front, Just like Jeff does, and a super pump motor that would easily get you off the water after your five. And if the other fleet wants to waist their BBs trying to sink you so much the better for the campaign cargo vessels.