Need to get Montana from 24 sec to 22 sec speed. Options

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CURT, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey guys. After the first trial run of Montana she is running it looks like a scale speed or 24 sec speed I am not sure. Running 6v 36amp SLA through a Viper Marine ESC . Props are 1.75 Dia by 25 pitch with 5 blades . Gear box is standard Traaxis gear box from Strike. Model weighs 50 t0 51 lbs. I just want enough speed so that when the power is winding down it can still have decent speed particularly in the turns. Motors are stock drive kit motors . I thought about just switching to 12v batteries . I think the motors are 6 -12 v . Would it be better to just switch out the motors for a more powerful set . Sorry my interrogative key is not functioning.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Never mind . I sorted it out .

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

What did you end up going with to address it?

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Clearly he swapped out the permanent magnets in the motors. It's the only reasonable solution.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I switched out the 6v 12amps and now have 12v 7 amps tied in for 12v 21amps . The bilge pump battery is now also a 12v 12 amp . I only need to power up the model to 8v and it will give me more than enough juice to muscle through the tight turns and not lose a lot of speed. The smoke generator is also performing optimal as well. LARGE smoke now exits the stacks. Both are producing lots of steady smoke together so that is excellent. Hope to test run it again Wednesday or Thursday weather permitting.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Lots of us have smoke generators...just not planned that way. McSpuds used a battery charger to turn an entire hotel room into a smoke generator. Most of us aren't very happy when our ship starts to smoke. You're one-of-a-kind, Curt.

Maxspin, CURT and WillCover like this.