Need to use a 3D printer? Check your local library!

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by dietzer, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

All,

I just discovered that some of the larger libraries now have Maker Labs in them!

For example, the Fort Wayne library has a Maker Lab at its main location and at its Georgetown branch. You have to take a class to become a registered user to use the 3D printers, but the classes are usually free, and once you are registered you can sign up to use the printers during any open lab hours. They even have computers you can use with CAD software (i think ft Wayne uses TinkerCAD, your library may differ). The Fort Wayne library charges $1/hr to print, which seems reasonable to me.

So check out your local library and see if they have a Maker Lab you can use!

2. Brian Furlotte

Brian Furlotte Member

Carl, good meeting you last Saturday. Besides the workshop, forgot to show you the garage. The 3D delta printer sits out there, mostly unused all the time. Also have a Chinese laser cutter out there on a nice rolling cart that hasn't even been plugged in yet. Thought the kid would get into it, but hasn't yet. Lots of resources available right in your section of town.

Working on getting a 4 or 5 axis CNC router / light mill next.

When is the next build session?

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Had a great time with you guys last Saturday. I didn't get a lot done on the Henri, but I sure learned a lot.

I'm busy until probably the end of March, so probably sometime in April for me.

What kinds of plastic does your delta use as filament? I might work on some stuff to print by then... :)

4. Brian Furlotte

Brian Furlotte Member

It is setup for PLA or ABS. Mainly I like to use PLA, but it does have a heat bed for the ABS.