Neverwere - Any Way to Do One

Discussion in 'General' started by GeekSpeed, Dec 9, 2010.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Awww.... I like the ugly refits on the Ganguts! LOL. One of the things I like about the Russian ships is that they just didn't seem to care about how they looked. Of course, I kind of have a think of Russian/Soviet stuff anyway.

The Gascogne and the Gille sound very interesting. Are there any links you can share that have info on them? I am curious to see what they are all about.

Treaty rules do sound awesome to me. I am looking to make my ship as scale looking as possible, so the big gun format might not be the best. Correct me if I am wrong about that assumption.

Ryan

2. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Almost forgot. One of the best things about the Gangut class is the name change after the formation of the USSR. I don't know why, but calling a ship the Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya (October Revolution) just seems AWESOME to me. :)

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

To each his own. I like French Predreadnoughts so what that says about my aesthetic sensibilities is anyone's guess. :)

4. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

I like Pre-Dreds as well. I have been kicking around the idea of something I call "Spec Pre-Drednaught." I got the idea from my other passion, which is sports car racing. Spec series, such as Spec Miata, aim to control costs by only allowing a certain car model with certain modifications. I figure we could apply that to pre-dreds. So, for example, all built to 1/96 scale, using the same size BB guns, and limiting them to 4.5 units. No rotating turrets or other major cost and complexity adders. Also, there would be an emphasis on scale looks. Good looking ships that are cheaper to build and on a somewhat even playing field is the goal...

Anyway, like I said, a preliminary idea in my head.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ehhh.. spec is good for racing, but it takes a lot of the fun out of boat battling. Additionally, the cost difference between two ships of the same general size and armament aren't all that different, whereas the battling characteristics could vary wildly. Part of the fun is finding a ship that suits your style.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Huh. That's funny, we were just discussing the idea of spec boats over in the WWCC. The idea was that, by using only one class of ship with uniform armament, skipper skills like accuracy and tactics would be far more important than class differences like having more guns, thicker armor, greater speed, etc. The example used was a spec Pocket Battleship, with one rotating 7/32" triple up front. Skippers would be free to add additional features like a stern turret and torpedoes, so long as they are disabled for the spec battles. A lot of people found the basic idea attractive, but most of the Allies were concerned that the spec boat being discussed was Axis only.

If you want a spec predread, look into the Mikasa. (which I happen to be building, by the way) Since she's still around today, there's lots of info on her. She has many of the classic elements of a predread: pointy ram bow, tumblehome hull, twin 12" guns, and banks of secondary 3" and 6" guns. Furthermore, she fought Allied in WWI, but Axis in WWII. Therefore she could go on either side. Lastly, she has one of the best (if not the best) prop/rudder configurations from the predreadnought era, with a semi-balanced rudder between two props. I didn't build the Mikasa solely for its historical value, after all :)

7. Tugboat

You guys have fun with that! :whistling:
    I really don't see great numbers of people rushing to build the same vessel, to battle a bunch of the same vessel. Even loving predreads and pocket battleships (and having at least two of each at the moment, in various levels of completion) I just can't see it happening in enough numbers to save any money for anyone. The majority of the cost associated with getting into the hobby is fixed (radio, regulator, CO2 bottles, valves) and other parts will vary up or down depending on factors not associated with building a particular class (unless you do Spec Yamato or something! :) ). Then we get to the vessel ID part. A vet can spot his own ship amongst other ships but I'd be surprised if no one had problems in a pack of 10 or 12 Deutschlands in a furball.
    Of course, I don't see 1/48 sail taking off in huge numbers, but I'm contemplating building a test ship. So take my opinion for what it's worth. :woot:

8. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

I hear what you guys are saying. It was just an idea I had been kicking around. I wasn't proposing the same ship model, just a ship type from a particular era. Thus, you could have Mikasa and Potemkin in the same battle. I guess it was more of a "wouldn't it be cool to do pre-dreadnought battles!" kind of idea. :) My endeavour was more to keep the rules simple and somewhat level. Anyway, it was just something I was kicking around.

9. Tugboat

It's cool, if no one kicks around new ideas, it'd get boring!

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

When I was creating CWC-X rules for here in my region I included vessels like Mikasa into the rules. Ships from 1860 and upward. Be cool to see the early Pre dreadnoughts from later 1800s battling. I like the Mikasa. It's a well balanced design and one that could be used for Rc combat.

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well Geek, if you like predreads that's all the more reason to come visit the WWCC. We've got predreads :D

12. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hi all. I have a quick update for you. I spoke to the folks in my local MWC chapter regarding hypotheticals. They have no issues with them being built and would love to see them, but apparently there is a legal issue. Due to the fact that they are outlawed specifically in the rules, that causes problems with the insurance. Thus, in the unlikely event of a claim, the insurance company could refuse coverage due to a rules violation and breach of contact. Gotta thank the lawyers for that one....

Anyway, now it is down to deciding which obscure and somewhat ugly Russian or French ship to build.

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

That sounds odd. The ship list is updated from time to time it should be an easy matter to add a hypothetical. Certainly a Normandie is not radically different enough from any other class 5 to be an insurance risk.

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Rules are rules...

Of course you can try and get an exception added into the rules that would allow it if you want. Some guys tried that a few years back with the Graf Zeppelin so they could build it as a convoy ship.