New and interested

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by Fox7372, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Fox7372

Fox7372 New Member

I was looking to get into this hobby and not it seems the Midwest Naval Combat Club is the closest to me. I live in a Cincy suburb. Not sure what type of hull is acceptable. Most of the things I have read mention a hull covered by 1/32 balsa. But most of the 1/144 scale kits I have seen out there are fiberglass. Strikemodels (sorry for posting a company name) has an Arizona model that has caught my eye. Just wasn't sure that would meet the rules of the club. I realize it mentions Intermediate skill level, but I think I can handle this. While I am new to ships. I have built RC planes in the past.
    This would give me something to do in the winter. Heard winter in Ohio this year will be a fun one.

Thanks everybody.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Briefly, the fiberglass hulls get 'windows' cut in them, and then sheeted over with the balsa. Strike's hulls are 100% suitable for the hobby, and are in fact made for it. You just get to do some demolition.

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I don't think you have to worry about posting Strikes name on here. Keri and Stephen, who run Strike Models, own this site. :D

Anyway, welcome aboard!

4. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We're totally fine with company names being mentioned here, Strike or otherwise.

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Welcome. The best way to answer your questions and show you what the hobby is all about it to come to one of our build sessions in the Dayton area. We don't have any scheduled right now, but as winter arrives we plan to get together once or twice a month.
    The most common ship starts with a fiberglass hull, but we have plenty of ships in the local area built from wood kits or scratch built from wood. Depending on your budget and availability of time to build, we can set you up with a used hull or take you from start to finish on a new build. Your model airplane skills will work just fine on the ships. I and many others have done R/C airplanes as well as the ships.
    I'll send you our contact info so that you can get in touch.

6. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

hey fox. nice to hear another cincy person posting , i can meet and greet you. i will try and send you a PM with my info.

7. Fox7372

Fox7372 New Member

I was looking at the forum and found something listing the top 10 ships. Sounds as if a ship with a single rudder will have a disadvantage. Still looking into this and like the Arizona or maybe the Indianpolis. Starting think either one of those wouldn't do so hot in battle. Or does it involve more of who is driving the ship and not the ship itself. North Carolina would be cool. And so would the Bismark or the Missouri.

Thansk

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hello Fox,
    welcome to the Midwest Group, your in with a great group of guys!!!
    Nikki

9. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MidwestNavalCombatClub

10. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

We just had a two-day battle in Osgood, Indiana.
    There will be lots of build-sessions, and boat-displays coming up, so keep an eye on our schedule.
    Looking forward to meeting you.
    Mikey