New Battleship Hull from Ralph!

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Bob Pottle, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

On Oct. 31 Ralph Coles (aka "Jack the Ripper") visited and loaned me his QE/Valiant hull and DPAA turret molds. I've regretted selling HMS Warspite, which was my best performing RCNC model, and am looking forward to building her sistership HMS Valiant.
    Kim leaves for Germany on Friday and will be away 2 weeks so I can mold the Valiant's hull and secondary turrets in the basement, plus install the fiberglass decks on the long-delayed Vanguard and Rodney projects. I made Valiant's main turrets when Ralph first started the project and have nearly everything on hand to complete her. The brass turntables I made for HMS Hood's guns were removed when her new owner wanted an unarmed model, and will be reinstalled in Valiant. They can be rotated manually (or by motor) and have set screws to adjust elevation like those in the Warspite.
    Bob

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds Great Bob. Looking forward to seeing how the Valiant turns out. Warspite was such a great model for battling. Need more like it out there.

3. Bob Pottle

You know that saying about "the best laid plans of mice and men.."? Well, the first weekend my wife was away was one of high winds and heavy rain that blew under the porch roof and soaked every inch of the deck. Though I could have laid up the Valiant hull in the basement it couldn't have been put outside to cure and off-gas, and I wasn't about to expose myself and dogs to 24 hrs of toxic fumes.
    The next weekend temperatures were unusually warm and ideal for fiberglassing but I was laid low by the flu, from which I'm still recovering. Normal November temperatures arrived this past weekend and it's now too cold to fiberglass (-3 degrees C this AM). I won't be able to make the Valiant hull until warm weather returns - likely in April.
    This means I'll go ahead with my most advanced battleship project, HMS Rodney, which should be ready for battle and well detailed by June.
    Bob

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Bob
    That's a bummer.
    Do you know if anyone has one of the new hulls under construction at this time?
    Mikey

5. Bob Pottle

Hi Mikey,
    I believe Ralph's sold 6+ QE/Valiant huls to US customers since early October. There's snow on the ground now so hull production has ended until the spring. Ralph built a workshed last year but found he couldn't heat it well enough for winter hull making.
    Steve Hill has an adequately heated workshed but hasn't been active in the hobby for over a year. Like several of us work and other committments has cut his time for the hobby to zilch. I think I'll call him and ask if I can use the shed for a weekend. That way I might get a Valiant hull done before the end of the year.
    Bob

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Be good to see a Rodney at Nats Bob. I have 2 people here keenly interested in that ship. I got a good set of plans for it but it needs to be enlarged.

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I have a set of the plans that I got from Ralph.

8. Bob Pottle

If they're the same plans I got from him they are very good. More than enough detail for combat models - from past experience much of it will eventually be shot off!
    Bob

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

..... especially if it is Curt doing the shooting! JK Looking forward to the Rodney Bob, be sure to post pics of your progress!

10. Bob Pottle

I'd like to post photos Craig but our computer is on its last legs and the Kodak East Share program won't work. We plan to get a new computer in January.
    Bob

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

My computer is having issues again too. Virus in it posing as AVG.

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

Too bad Bob would love to see the pics! Maybe Jay can go over and snap a few when he gets back in town?

13. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I can definately do that.
    J