New Captain on the Docks!( Hopefully not on rocks)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by silverwing, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwing

silverwing Member

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The pump usually sits aft, often just forward of or between the motors.

You need a regulator to provide your low pressure (140-150psi) side of the system from the high pressure side (bottle full of liquid co2). I thought this was combat ready? Seems to be missing a few things..

No that has a pin-valve. Why would you need 2 bottles?

3. silverwing

silverwing Member

Almost combat ready... didn't come with a bottle IDK about regulator. He gave me the pump it was just forgotten in the Brian's car and he's sending it to me. 2 Bottles for backups. (In case I want to battle longer)

4. NickMyers

Definately get some pictures up tomorrow - I'm going to hold off on answering more questions until I get a better idea of what you've got there.

But still, I don't grasp the reasoning on the 2 bottles thing - you just refill the bottle from the fill station when you're reloading. Bottles don't wear out over the course of the day, you can keep filling them as long as the big tanks have liquid in them.

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

SHAM

Read carefully, I think that the link says that THEY have two in stock but the price is for one. Also that is a pin valve not a 1/4 turn on/off.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

7. NickMyers

Feel free to denote yours as mere Steam Ships. Mine sail armed under the banner of His Imperial Majesty, the Kaiser and are properly denoted as such.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In Region 3, all WWI Axis are SMS :) Heil Fluegel!

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

SHAMOOKILLU,
    welcome, your in a good spot!!
    Nikki

10. silverwing

silverwing Member

How do I add pictures?

11. NickMyers

12. silverwing

silverwing Member

The pictures are at http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/SHAMOOKILLU/
    =D

13. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

From the pictures, this is a real old boat with really old technology. The white connectors look like they could be for 7.2 volt r/c car batteries. The single connectors may be for sealed lead acid batteries for propulsion The guns look good. The servo which is run to to the switch in the center of the radio box looks like it may be throttle (if so is really old tech.). The motors and dog bones look good as does the rudder. I would change the throttle to a MAG type of throttle (can be built with two micro switches or with a Team Delta 220 board. I would change the connectors to power poles or Deans connectors. The poppet valves are old school but still work fine. The push on/push off switch is for the pump and will work.

hope this helps!

14. NickMyers

The big heavy brass thing in your hand in #2 is your regulator. The co2 bottle should sit in the bow from the way this is laid out, though there doesn't appear to be any sort of way to hold it in a given position.

I can't really tell where your main battery/batteries are supposed to sit exactly, I'm not seeing any hold-downs or trays for a battery. I would guess forward of the radio box though.

The pump should sit aft of the radio box, forward of the drive motors I think, you don't have any real clear pictures of this area, but it is the logical spot.

One thing to be aware of - your rudder may not be legal. It looks like it may have the bonus 50% applied, cant tell without a measurement though. If it does have the bonus area though you have to have the other rudder present and functional, and I don't see it. You'll need to measure your rudder to determine its size.

Overall, the ship looks solid and at 300$ I'd say you did really well.

15. silverwing

silverwing Member

It was 150.
    Is a micro switch and ESC or a servo-activated three position switch as well?
    I can get the measurements at some point, MAYBE tomorrow but it isn't likely. I have to start applying and planning for high school tomorrow and course registration opens up tomorrow. What's the "bonus 50%"?
    What's a MAG type throttle?

16. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

http://www.ircwcc.com/How_to/Speed-Controll.html

Check out the Maryland Attack Group throttle!

17. NickMyers

Now that you have a ship, I'm going to suggest what I suggest to everyone: Read the rules package a few times - in particular the constructions rules.

Ships with 2 rudders (the Moltke is such a ship) get 50% additional rudder area. You can distribute the surface area between the two rudders however you want, but they must both be present and functional. The Moltke has inline rudders, (one ahead of the other), the forward rudder is typically considered worthless and most people use the smallest possible amount of area for that rudder and use the lions share on the aft rudder. On your Moltke, I do not see the forward rudder and I don't see any linkage for one, which leads me to conclude that it is not there. If it is not, and your rudder size includes the 50%, you will need to either downsize your rudder or add and operate the 2nd rudder.

A class 4 ship such as the Moltke gets 2.5 sq inches of rudder surface area for a single rudder. The dual rudder bonus of 50% gives you 3.75 sq inches total maximum rudder area.

18. silverwing

silverwing Member

It has 2 rudders, one is just very small and none- radio control. It's very stiff and I just thought it was a trim rudder or something. It has a servo arm, it's white and seen in picture nine under the yellow push-rod. Would this be connected through two servos on a Y-adapter or one servo with complicated wiring? I think I'd rather go with two servos, Y' adapter ( or harness) and have the one controlling the forward rudder micro with the servo arm perpendicular to the servo itself, but mounted in the same way as the aft rudder servo. This sounds complicated, but is simple if you were to see it I would think. How do I waterproof servos? I know about plasti-dip spray and liquid version. The other servo does have plasti-dip on all the potential openings. Don't be afraid to give me difficult instruction, I can handle it ;)

19. NickMyers

It is easier to use one servo, often running a linkage from one rudder's arm to the other. Two servos just means one more thing to fail. You're going to have to do something about how stiff it is beforehand though. That it is even there is good though - makes your task arguably simpler.

As for waterproofing servos, there are several threads discussing attempts to do that, with varying schools of thought on the matter.

20. silverwing

silverwing Member

I don't link running the two rudders with one servo is possible but I'll give it a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.