New Guy from MT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thunder, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Thunder

Thunder Member

Hi, there new to the forum and rc warships. I currently located in Montana. I don't expect a lot goes on around these parts for this type of stuff however that isn't stopping ME! I've been into RC since i was about 12 & now i'm over 30 still doing it. I've spent most of my time racing or crawling on land. The last 3-5 years have been hard into boats. Fast Electric along with some scale tug boat stuff.
    The scale tugboats i've enjoyed a ton and it opened me up to warships. As of 3 days ago i ordered 2 hulls to start building. They will be eventually be fully functional and ready for battle, but to start i just want to get them built. I'm putting together an USS North Caroline & French Mogador.

I suppose that will do for an intro. Thanks for having me & looking forward to sinking into this hobby!!!!

Beaver likes this.
  2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Welcome. I had a 1/96th scale Mogador. Keep the weight low as much as possible.

3. Thunder

Thunder Member

Good to know. With your Mogador were you running big gun or fast gun? And was it a single canon with a pump or 1.5 guns. I'm still fairly new, but hve been reading some rules. so please if i got something wrong don't crucify me.

I welcome all comments.
    Cheers.

4. rcaircraftnut

Battle stations. Had a pump single stern bb cannon and a 4 barrel Indiana cannon for the torpedoes.
    1/96th scale. Fast gun and big gun are 1/144th scale. Quite a bit smaller and even more weight sensitive.

5. Thunder

Thunder Member

The hulls I've ordered to start building are 1/144th. One is from battle connection (Mogador) the other (North Carolina) is from Stiker Models.

6. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Hey, welcome aboard!! we don't crucify on this forum I hope, so ask away with any questions you may have, we have some really good builders/engineering types on here who can help you do almost anything. Hope to see you on the water.
    Craig
    (waterboarding on the other hand....):););)

7. Thunder

Thunder Member

Thanks

8. rcaircraftnut

1/144th destroyers are super weight sensitive.

9. rcaircraftnut

Start with the larger ship as they are easier to build.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yes, we have a specific subforum for that.

Anvil_x and Panzer like this.
  11. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Break down the workload into steps. It's easy to feel overwhelmed at first. Step 1: Pick a battle format and read through the rules and make notes of any questions before you start building and ask here. Step 2: Mark cut lines for your ribs/windows and post up some photos before cutting so you can get some opinions if they're correct.

There's good build thread reference for both ships here. Depending on your experience/fabrication skills, the Mogador will be tricky to build to make it as stable as possible in the water.

Depending where you're at in MT, Seattle or Minnesota are probably your choices for attending battles. Consider attending a battle even before building. You learn so much in this hobby seeing this stuff first hand.