New guy in Columbus OH looking for info

Discussion in 'General' started by enewbold, Jul 11, 2008.

1. enewbold

enewbold New Member

I was in r/c battling ships in Maryland years ago, but have lived in OH for the past 12 years. Am looking to meet any others in the vicinity who might be able to help me re-enter the hobby.

I have r/c gear, but need plans, boats, canons, etc., to get going again.

Thanks very much,
    Ed Newbold

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Welcome aboard Ed, I would check in the SEARCH FOR A LOCAL CLUB thing on the homepage, i think there are 3 or so different clubs in that area. Best of luck

3. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Ed,
    There are some guys in Washington Treaty is just down the road from you in Dayton and Cincinnati. We are going to be having our Nationals in Xenia the weekend of August 7-10. If you're interested drop myself, froggyfrenchman or Gettysburg114th a line and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Great to see you're looking into re-enter the hobby.
    Take care,
    Eric

4. klibben

klibben Member

Even closer than Treaty, you have the Buckeye Battle Squadron over near Newark. We battle a more standard version of fast gun, we have a battle on July 19 and 20th and also our micro-nats are the 8-10th.

Feel free to send me or Buddy Friend an email if you are interested in joining or just visiting a battle!

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Ed
    Are you looking for big-gun, or small-gun?
    Or just something local?
    Mikey

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi Ed!
    I am over in Newark !We have a build session, battle, fun run coming up in July!Like Kenny said and a Micro Nats in Aug. I enjoy all kinds of battleing people! Drop me a line!
    Buddy Friend

7. enewbold

enewbold New Member

Don't know yet. I'm still getting re-acquainted with the sport.
    Thanks,
    Ed

8. enewbold

enewbold New Member

Where's the battle to be held? I'd love to drop by. I've sent both of you a PM asking some questions.

Cheers,
    Ed

9. enewbold

enewbold New Member

By the way, what's the fastest way to get a ship and some guns in action? I don't see any plans being posted anywhere, like they do with the r/c airplanes. When I was over in Maryland there was an ample source of info, guidance, plans, etc., we had access to.

I'm rooting through my old storage boxes of "stuff" I have looking for the plans and newsletters. If I find them I'll post what info I had at that time (some of which is probably still good, like plans).

Thanks,
    Ed in Columbus

10. klibben

klibben Member

Hey Ed,

I replied to your PM.

As for a ship, are you looking to buy a used ship, a kit, or scratchbuild? www.battlersconnection.com sells many kits and supplies, and we have a few members in BBS who also custom make parts (such as guns and props). If you have a specific ship in mind we can see what we have in the club...

11. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey Ed,
    I ran ships in Maryland with Frank, Will, Marty, the Blattuo bros, Pav, Rick and Danny. Down at Greenbriar and Patuxant pond. Ah, the good old days.

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi Ed
    I also replie dto your pm. I have a pretty good selection of plans and I think we have a ship or 2 in the group that is not doing any thing . What are you looking for?

13. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Ed, if you haven't seen it, there is an article over on Visit this site to help get you back up to speed. Sadly, it predates Treaty, which is pretty new, and does not include the subsequent demise of Swampworks or the new player, RC-Artwerks.

Welcome back,

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Look through the ship plans section, there are several sets of free plans there. Anything specific that you are looking for?

15. enewbold

enewbold New Member

Hehehe... the Yamato, of course!

This weekend (7-26-08) I have a planned meeting with Buddy and Alan in Newark, OH, to purchase some of their surplus gear to enable me to get into the water faster. Will keep everyone informed as to progress.

Thanks all,
    Ed

16. klibben

klibben Member

Looks like I might be Alans chauffeur if he can wait for me to get off work, so I might be coming down as well.

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Fastest way to get a Yammer on the water (other than buying one already built ;) is to buy one of the Battler's Connection hulls. If you want to build one, I'd get 'The Anatomy of the Ship: Yamato' which has drawings and plans of pretty much anything on the ship.

18. klibben

klibben Member

Ah crap, all the other jap ships in BBS abandon me, and I start to lean allied and WHAM, now I have to go up against a yammie!

19. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

A Yammer and the Kumano will look great sailing together.

20. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Any Axis ship sailing next to any axis ship will look like the rear end of a large hairy Donkey. Sorry, no offense to the shipbuilding skill of those on this forum, its an allied thing.