New guy in southern California

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jim13csulb, May 11, 2019.

1. jim13csulb

jim13csulb Member

Hi everyone, my names James and I’m from Southern California (orange county) and am looking to get into the action of fast gun rc warship combat.

I first saw rc warship combat when I was a kid at Prado Regional Park (SCRAP guys) and I believe they stopped for some time. But now Ive got a home, a job, a wife, and a bit of desobsable income that I can use to actually build a ship.... and it appears the local guys are battling again.

Ive ordered a Sharnhorst hull (hull Subdeck, turrets, plans, prop shaft, motor) but other than that I haven’t ordered anything.

Plan of action right now is to get the hull in, clean it up, use my 3D Printer to print motor mounts and other stuff like that and then decide how to proceed on the electronics and guns....... got a lot to figure out and learn....

2. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

Welcome! Indeed they are battling again, next event is June 1st. Check out scrapcombatships.com if you haven’t yet.

3. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Yea!! More Axis members! Yes check out the SCRAP site

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Hey Jim, did you ever get into the action with the Scrap guys? I've been out of the hobby for a while myself, but i'm looking to get back in with the battle this June (if it happens!).

5. jim13csulb

jim13csulb Member

Hey Brandon, sort of..... lol. I made it out to a battle before covid, but haven’t battled since. During the pandemic though I have taken the time to expand the dry dock as I picked up two more ship hulls!

6. Litch42f

SCRAP battle this weekend, hope to see you guys there!

Brandon B likes this.
  7. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I'll be there, first battle in like 5 years! :eek:

Litch42f likes this.
  8. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I think my buddy is going to come captain my other boat too, so should be a fun time!

9. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Shoot now that I said that out load, i gotta check to make sure my other boat WORKS! lol

10. Litch42f

Also make sure you guys both have NAMBA paid up.

11. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I got mine, but my buddy is just kinda trying it out. Does Brian still do the daily coverage for a couple bucks?

12. Litch42f

Not too sure, I would recommend asking via our email group.

13. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I reached out to Brain, and yes you can get single event insurance for 10.00 bucks by going here and selecting "Single event":
    http://member.namba.com/

Litch42f likes this.
  14. Paul Aberle

Paul Aberle New Member

Hey! My name is Paul and I live in Carlsbad. I am also new to this had the itch a few years ago but didn't follow through. But now I'm super close to taking the dive. Probably going with the Des Moines from BC. I want to do battles eventually but also want a boat to just cruise around at the pond. Cutting up the hull and the cannons looks super complicated to do by myself with zero building experience. I'm handy but not that handy haha Happy Hump Day! :laugh:

Brandon B likes this.
  15. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Welcome!

Paul Aberle likes this.
  16. Litch42f

Welcome Paul. We're currently in a little bit of a down season with the summer heat and weed growth at the pond. I think the plan is to have our next battle in October although there might be a build session before then. Ill send you a message with the email to our treasurer who manages our email group.

Paul Aberle likes this.
  17. Paul Aberle

Paul Aberle New Member

I'm like a 30 mile drive from the San Diego Model Yacht Pond on Vacation Isle in Mission Bay. Do you guys ever go down there?

18. Litch42f

I'm not sure, I know the group has tried to find other ponds in the past but have been denied the request to discharge bb guns on the pond.

19. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Yeah I've asked about other ponds too, and the biggest hiccup is always the bb guns. LA county simply doesn't allow them. You gotta dive into the county code to figure out if it's OK.

20. Paul Aberle

Paul Aberle New Member

I would love to see them give tickets for that lol But your personal liability if it hit some random person in the eye is another story though... I have to much to lose for that hence I understand... I would like though to have a boat I can simply come down with every other Saturday and just drive it around sounds good to me sometimes...

Brandon B likes this.