new guy, needs help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PSYCHO, Jan 30, 2014.

1. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

My pricerange as of right now maxes out at about under $700

2. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I assume thats for both ships which means you will basically max out with Exeter. But for BG I am not sure about Derfflinger but I am currently building the follow on class Mackensen and they are very similar so it can't be that bad as a BG ship. Like my suggestion about Exeter pick a ship you like or find interesting or any number of other reasons and go for it. These boats take time to build so you can build Exeter and wait a bit before starting the next boat.

3. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

well yes at this very moment i can only afford the exeter, but by the time i move to cali, i will be able to get multiple ships almost immediatly, the ony thing in my way right now is the moving costs, but once thats over with, i can start up my projects and then its smooth sailing from there on out (no pun intended) haha

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I don't mean to come across as a hard-a$$, and not trying to slam anyone, but be careful as to the advice you may get on these boards. Granted the best of intentions, some of the most prolific posters have yet to complete a ship, let alone actually get it wet & shot at (those that have are tagged "Veteran" on this board). My very best advice: Before you spend a dime, get in touch with & meet in person with someone reasonably local who has been in the hobby a while & possibly even get them to show you around one of their boats. That will give you a much better appreciation of the complexity & parameters.

Also, read through some of the build threads on here to get an idea of how the wood hulls vs fiberglass ones are built. A good example of a fiberglass build is McSpuds "Mutsu" build: http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/566/aft/442367/afv/topic/Default.aspx

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Solid advice ^^

6. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

Allright, and thanks for the link, it helped give me a general idea of what im about to get into with the exeter. Oh and since the exeter will be a fastgun setup, will i still be able to use the rotating barrels, or is it only big enough for fixed ones, and if so, how many barrels can each gun have at maximum

7. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

If you build it for fastgun (MWC / IRCWCC), it's a 3-unit boat. A pump w/ 1/8" outlet or a bb-cannon w/ a 50 round mag are each counted as 1 unit. So you could mount 2 guns & a pump.. For safety, cruiser-class ships & smaller are not allowed rotates, as they're narrow & a bit "tippy", and we don't want bb's flying at someones' face (bounces do enough damage:p )
    So for your boat, best setup is twin 50-round guns mounted in the stern turret. Stern guns are far easier to aim than bow guns. I recommend straight- tube magazines vice coils, as the stern of a boat fills up much faster than the midships area, and the straight mags can be mounted so the fill caps are about midships.

So from stern to bow, a typical internal setup would be arranged something like this:
    Stern-------------------------------------Midships------------------------------------Bow
    --------Gun====================Battery
    Rudder Drive motor(s) Pump ESC Radio Box CO2 Bottle >
    --------Gun====================Battery

Note the "======" is the magazine tube for the gun

8. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

Alright, that sounds simple enough, thanks for the advice

9. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

so i looked up the gun, and noticed that the dual fire version comes in straight mags, and comes with 2 guns,so if the exeter is a 3 unit ship, if i run the 2 duslfire guns, how many units do i have left available for a pump? are each of those guns 1 unit, or does dual fire make them more than 1 unit? Because in theory, if i can run dualfire in bow and stern with pump all at exactly 3 units in total, then it would be decent.

10. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

each 50bb cannon is one unit and your pump would be one unit also.

11. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

Okay so it dosnt matter how nany barrels function? Just the magazine size?

12. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

It does matter in IRC/MWC rulesets. Being a 3.0 unit ship means it would typically be setup with two cannons @ 50bb/ea (which is 2.0 units together), and a 1.0 unit pump which has a 1/8" restrictor on the exit port. You could either have dual bow or sterns (not both), or a single bow cannon & a single stern cannon.

IRCWCC Rules: http://www.ircwcc.org/files/Bylaws_Rules/Rules_2013.htm
    MWCI Rules: http://www.mwci.org/rules.shtml

13. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Member

Oh okay then what is the typical weight displacement, should i put the weight of the gun up front or in the rear, because i assume when water cames in, it will go to which ever side is heavier first, which also determines where i need to put the pump. And for big gun, how many pumps are allowed, and is it possibke to run multiple pumps in fast gun if a ship has enough units?

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

When you float your ship, it should be level. No side should be heavier than the other or otherwise your ship would look like a speed boat, or the bow wave will run over the deck. You'll probably want to put your pump toward the stern of the ship. When you start driving your ship around, the water will run towards the back. If you want to, you could run two pumps maybe even three in a fast gun ship, but you'll probably need to resheet after every battle because there won't be much balsa left. :)

Beaver