New Hulls From Ralph Coles

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Ralph has finished 3 new molds for fiberglass hulls: torpedo cruiser IJN Kitakami, heavy cruiser HMS Fiji/Uganda/Swiftsure, and dreadnought HMS Agincourt. He can be contacted at ralphster30@hotmail.com

Ralph is bringing the new hulls for me to see this weekend so I'll take some photos and post them.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Very curious which version of the Kitikami he built. The original "classic" cruiser, or the monster torpedo boat with sponsons and bulges?

3. Bob Pottle

He told me it was a Kuma Class but I understood him to say he made the torpedo cruiser version. I'll know for sure when I see it on Saturday.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looking forward to that. Tell Ralph I can post them to my FB Titans Of The Sea page also.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

The pictures that were posted a few weeks back showed the Torpedo version.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  6. Bob Pottle

Where were they posted?

TorpCruiser likes this.
  7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Somewhere on Facebook, just tried looking but I couldn't find them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Bob Pottle

Missed those - I was in the woods (at the cottage) all summer and rarely had internet access.

9. djranier

I was thinking about getting one, that was the first boat I tried making a wooden hull, which turned out to be a total failure, the plans I had the ribs were totally wrong, Goff. Just threw it in the trash, lol. But I got to many to finish now.

10. Bob Pottle

No hull photos. Ralph wasn't able to make it into Halifax today - car problems. I won't have a chance to see him and the new hulls until Sept. 23.

11. Bob Pottle

Ralph brought his new hulls by today but the battery for my camera needed charging so no photos.

The Agincourt hull was very nice but he'd modified the underside of the stern aft of the skeg (a very small area) to be flat instead of a continuous curve in cross-section. (Ralph said the reason he didn't follow the plan exactly was so if someone copied his hull he'd know.) I remain tempted to build an Agincourt instead of another QE Class now that twin and single rudder ships in the same class have the same rudder area. With the new rudder area being 50% larger than it used to be Agincourt will turn better and is only 2.5" longer than a QE. Ralph is molding sets of turrets to go with the hulls.

His Japanese light torpedo cruiser hull looks good and has reduced penetrable area aft due to the sponsons extending out from each side of the q-deck and their related stringers.

The third hull was the Fiji/Uganda/Superb hull. He'd made the sides of the q-deck higher in a couple of places so the different splinter screens and side plating around the torpedo tubes carried by these classes can be respresented and form upward extensions of the hull (same thing I did with the Profintern hull plug I gave to Strike Models).

12. djranier

Well I purchased a Kitikami, but going to call it the Oi, easier to spell. He shipped it this week to me, but coming from Canada will be a week or 2 is my guess.

absolutek likes this.
  13. Bob Pottle

It should be interesting to sheet with those odd-looking torpedo sponsons.

14. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

does Ralph have a brochure/website/anything that is not a thread on this site where we could see a comprehensive list of hulls, prices, etc?

15. Bob Pottle

He doesn't. I've been bugging him for 20 years to set up a website, especially when he complains about not selling enough hulls. :>)

I know he sold some of his molds (Mogami, Graf Spee and others) but still has molds for QE/Valiant post reconstruction, Fiji/Uganda/Swiftsure Classes, Oi, Agincourt, Texas, Yamato, Indefatigable, Rodney and others.

Email: ralphster30@hotmail.com

buttsakauf likes this.
  16. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

A stickied thread where he or a friend could maintain an updated hull and price list, with an email slapped on the bottom of the first post would probably serve 90% of his and potential customer’s needs. Just a thought.

17. Anvil_x

Yeah that would be excellent as a stand-in. I'd love to see his full list, especially since he appears to have some really odd duck ships, judging from the Wind class icebreaker mentioned in a thread back in 09.
    I'll have to hit him up sometime near christmas, my Dad's been enthusiastically watching my build for the duration, and since he was a Puddle Pirate with a twisted sense of humor, I think a Wind-class icebreaker would make a good christmas gift, as well as a unique edition to the New England group.

18. Bob Pottle

Feel free to email him and suggest he advertise.

19. Anvil_x

I'll send him an email this morning and see if he wants me to post up a thread like @buttsakauf described. Maybe talk to the admins and have them pin it to the top and see what happens.

20. Bob Pottle

Have you got a response from Ralph yet?