New mold arrived at Tugboat's

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Put out the word when you are ready to go into production and are looking for orders.

I have been thinking about building the USS Alaska only naming her the USS Philippines. (Yes, the the Alaska was No 1 and the USS Philippines was to be No 4 of that type but was canceled.)

Knight

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I just found out I made a mistake in my previous analysis of the Alaska's strength. Turns out it actually has two rudders (oops! I am just making mistakes left and right, here!) That means my entire evaluation was off, so please disregard it.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Where's the second one? :) I'd love to have 2, but I only see the one at the stern. I think you were right the first time!

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Alaska only has a single rudder.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm very confused. I've seen sources that indicate single rudder, and sources that indicate double rudder. The only thing that I'll believe now is a drydock photo of the original ship, showing its rudder arrangement.

6. crzyhawk

None of the photos I have seen of any of the three ships laid down show the rudder and screws. However, the single rudder is one of the major knocks on the design. Contemporary US Cruiser design features are rampant throughout the ship, to include the squared off stern, amidships aircraft facilities, single rudder and layout of the 5"/38s. These features are most often brought up in arguments as to whether she's really just a large heavy crusier as the Americans called her or a battlecruiser as nearly everyone else called her.

This is found on the US Navy's historical site:

As built, the Alaskas were much closer to cruisers in design than to battleships or battlecruisers. They lacked the multiple layers of compartmentation and special armor along the sides below the waterline that protected battleships against torpedos and underwater hits by gunfire. Other typical cruiser features in their design were the provision of aircraft hangars and the single large rudder. Unlike other U.S. cruisers of the day, the hangars and catapults were located amidships, and the single rudder made them difficult to maneuver. On the other hand, the Alaskas' side armor covered more of the hull than was standard in contemporary U.S. cruisers.

The link to the full article is:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/usnshtp/cru/cb1cl.htm

To me, if the Navy historians specifically call out the fact that she has only a single rudder as criticism, it's true. I'll believe she has a single rudder until I see a dockyard photo to prove otherwise :)

7. Tugboat

I have copies of the shipyard plans, and they show only one. I have tried hard to find a drydock shot of the stern, but no luck so far.

8. crzyhawk

*sigh* if only she really did have two rudders...

Still such a pretty looking ship though. In the IRCWCC she's allowed 5 units and dual sidemounts, so setting one up as a pure slugger (2 sets dual sides, and the most massive pump you can make) might be viable for someone who wants to play the slugger game, without having a 50 pound Iowa or a 60 pound Yamato. Sure she's gonna take a lot of damage, but she should be able to dish it out as well, and she can outgun a lot of the larger BBs that might be tempted to tangle with her, such as VV should they choose to swap sidemounts. I doubt any capital ship driver will be able to resist the temptation of playing with an Alaska. If Alaska chooses her fights wisely and gets some decent support from the other ships in her fleet, she might be able to find a niche.

9. Tugboat

Oooooohh... Aaaaaahhh... dual sidemounts and 5 units... sigh... :) Maybe I'll build one to IRCWCC specs to give me an excuse to come up there someday :)

10. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

In Florida we are all talking about making their May battle, in Hagerstown. 4 or 5 of us so far.

11. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Ohh that would be awesome to have you guys at the May battle in Hagerstown.

12. Tugboat

What days in May are we talking about?

13. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

It not on their site yet, but if I remember right its 8-9-10 of May? We have been waiting to see if they confirm the dates for sure. Rick is on their list, Don and I are not, so Rick will keep us updated.

Sounds like your going to be there Chris?

14. Tugboat

Alas, I will be working that weekend. Maybe another time :(

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

It is May 9-11 at Hagerstown

Hotel Info:

Days INN
    900 Dual Highway
    Hagerstown, MD, 21740 US
    301-739-9050

ask for the special rates for Model Boaters

thats from the IRCWCC yahoo group.
    I'll be there, hopefully with my new VDT otherwise with my older one, either way it should be a good time. We'll miss you Tuggy, that crazy work thing is always getting in the way of fun ;-)

16. Klems

Klems Member

Oh man Tugboat, I am so intrerested when you start producing these! Definitely put me down on the list.

17. Tugboat

Got 3 coats of wax on, going for 2 more tomorrow. Soon... soooon... :)

18. Klems

Klems Member

hey tugboat, I saw your Alaska page has been updated. Any chance we can get a picture of the hull because I most definitely want to order one. Visit this site

19. Tugboat

Things have been crazy lately, but I am putting a layer of mat inside the first hull, and will post pics when I demold it.

20. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey Tug
    Put me down for a hull ! Soon as I get done with the 2 hulls I am doing now I will start on some parts for the super of the alaska. I might see if the owner of the ww1 kongo will let it become a mold if you are interested .
    Buddy