New/Restarted Club in sunny Southern California!

Discussion in 'South Coast Battle Group' started by jstod, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

I will call and have that done. As mentioned Gary Powell, who is here will probably post here for your group. Prices to

2. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Awesome that would be great to have. I know I personally have my main ships but will need something smaller to keep in my barracks.

3. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

What are you looking for? I know Gary has a HMS Sheffield. I'm hoping he either posts or sends me a list.
    This is the best way to get the club going pretty quick. I'm sure the sellers would make a trip down there with these models. Heck. Maybe we could get you off the ground and battle with you next year if everything is in place. I do not mean compition between clubs. No intermingle. So there is an idea anyway.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Sounds intriguing to say the least. I for one am of the mind set the more the merrier :)

Im not sure what I'm looking for just yet. Got to give it some thought.

5. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Hi guys, I'm a bit new to posting here but I've been reading the forums on this site for a while. I live in the so cal area and would love to get into big gum combat. Sign me up as officially interested. I don't have a big gun ship but when this thing gets doing I'd defiantly be interested in buying one.

6. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Hey Brandon,

I sent you a PM, but I don't have enough confidence that I did everything right to leave it at that. Anyway, a member here, Rob Wood along with Jstod here in this thread are actively looking for new captains for the Southern California club. We're also working on ideas of how to get new captains like yourself an armed ship! Many exist in the Western Warship Combat Club already, and we are working on a new design that is effective in battle, while also easy to build and maintain.

Anyway, a warm welcome, and I hope to cross your path in battle!

Cheers

Jeff

7. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Thanks for the info, if there is a ship available from the guys at Western I'd love to check it out. I understand that they are planning to be a the San Diego Maker Fair this year. I'm planning to check out their battle. Maybe we'll cross paths down there.

8. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

As I mentioned prior Pacific Model Warship Combat Club is a 1/72 scale club that use to play 1/144th scale. The group has many vessels they will never use again.
    If anyone is interested here contact Gary Powell who is in this forum. They are for sale at reasonable prices and many are armed.

9. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Hi Brandon. You are cordially invited to participate in Western Warship Combat Club's two day Battle Pond combat spectacular, October 3rd and 4th, in Balboa Park. We will have 7 armed torpedo cruisers for guests to operate, plus 7 unarmed cargo ships. Anyone in the SoCal area interested in Big Gun combat should plan to attend one or both days. We will talk between battles and in the evenings about expanding WWCC into the San Diego/Riverside County area. There are over a dozen people down here interested in battling, so I'd say Maker Faire will launch a formal SoCal club chapter.

Meanwhile, anyone interested in learning more about 1:144 Big Gun combat might consider attending the Chula Vista Harborfest this Saturday, August 22nd, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. Western Warship Combat Club has teamed up with the San Diego Argonauts and the Task Force 96 guys to man a booth. We are also working together to build the Battle Pond at Maker Faire. We will have two battleships on display on Saturday: HMS Hood and DKM Bismarck. It would be a good opportunity to look at one completed ship (Hood) and one still undergoing sea trials and fitting out (Bismarck). You will have plenty of opportunities to "get under the hood" to see how we do what we do.

Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  10. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Sweet! I'm planning to be at the fair and would love to try out one of your torp cruisers. I'm afraid I cannot make the Chula Vista event though.

11. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

This Saturday, 9:00am - noon, we will be doing some sea trials and experimentation on two Big Gun battleships (HMS Hood and DKM Bismarck) at the model yacht pond at Vacation Isle in San Diego. You're welcome to join us.

Rob

12. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

Hey I just saw this. I was wondering what rules this club will follow because I am currently building a Brooklyn to WWCC rules, but you guys are way closer to me (Long Beach). I am a long way off, but I am very interested.

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Jordan, hopefully you are still interested. I took a pause from getting going until i got my final duty station. If no one has answered your question the club will operate off of WWCC rule book with options for reginal tweaks. Hows your ship coming along? I operated out of LA driving to NorCal for a number of years to battle with WWCC which is why we are attempting to get this going. Luckily one of WWCC's most active members (Rob Wood) moved down to SoCal so even though I will be inactive for some time it should still get off the ground. Contact Rob, he is incredibly helpful and I'm sure would love help getting this going.

Hope to be battling with ya'll in the future!

14. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

Its taken an unfortunate turn with a few of the pieces have a major cad issue, but while I am frustrated with the hull I have switched over to guns and electronics. I hope to finish it soonish...

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I would, to get started, suggest either A) purchase a ship second hand or B) purchase a hull kit from strikemodels.com or another vendor. This would be able to get you up and running quicker allowing you time to figure out your cad issues also are you trying to build your own guns or come up with your own design? either way I would try to get your hands on a set of cannons from one of the guys who have had some success building cannons. this will both allow you to get into action quicker and give you hands on work with them so you can see first hand how they are built making it easier for you to build your own or design your own.

16. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

Yeah luckily I had free time so i managed to correct the cad issues and now am making progress on my fiber glass mold. as for guns. I am going to be building indianna style ones and luckily I convinced a friend with a cnc router to machine prototypes for me so cost should be only in the materials. I was thinking about getting a kit for a while but because I think I will be building 3 brooklyns (one for me, one for brother, and one for friend) I figured might as well dive head long into it right? It is still a ways off because I won't be able to do major assembly for another 3 months so its basically prototyping for the time being.

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

dang 3 brooklyns! haha well looks like the allies will be set on ships in the beginning. so why the brooklyn? favorite ship?

18. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

Well I actually want a mogami, but my brother bought the brooklyn plans a long while back so I figured I might as well go for it. Since we are making a fiber glass mold for it we figured why not make multiple. But I mean once the brooklyn is nearly done I am ordering up mogami plans

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

i totally get that, i was just thinking alomg the lines of getting you battling faster. have you been up to a bettle up north or makers fair?

20. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

Oh yeah I completely understand, its also that I am known to go overboard and bite off more than I can chew and old habits die hard right? I have been to one battle quite a long time ago at prado dam but not too sure if that's relevant because I hardly remember much