New/Restarted Club in sunny Southern California!

Discussion in 'South Coast Battle Group' started by jstod, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

oh i know exactly what you mean except you can never have to many ships lol I have two ships under construction 1) the Littorio which has no super structure and one working turret, has seen combat at makers fair and then Mackensen which is built completely but without its cannon systems (its going to need some custom made ones due to space and locations). I then have two MASSIVE projects in the works haha. When did you visit prado? perhaps i was there. trying to put a face to the name haha and all experience in this great hobby is relevant

2. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

It was forever ago. I want to say maybe 5 years if not more

3. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

If it was 5 years ago, it was likely Fast Gun with SCRAP. So. Coast Battle Group has not been active for a decade or more and only been trying to reform for the past couple years. I also understand that they have not played for years, except for a couple members showing up at a Western Warship event in No. California or a Maker Fair exhibition. If you are in Southern California, Fast Gun with SCRAP is the best option. Especially if you are building a Brooklyn, which has no torpedo tubes. For this reason in Big Gun you would need specialized guns made to be competitive and they are not available from any reliable source.

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Oh wow I definitely mixed up prado with WWCC old pond at penetencia (I doubt that's how you spell it) that's what happens when I read to fast haha. SCRAP is the only active combat club of any format in SoCal but as this thread/section says we are restarting big gun in SoCal. As for the guns that issue will soon change as the guys in WWCC have made some amazing progress using 3D printing. As of now two of the guys have working and tested versions one in the traditional Indi style and one a different take on it. Both I believe are undergoing some tweaks but should be able to produce cannons soon enough. Jeff has one of his designs show cases in a thread pinned at the top of the Digital design and fabrication section. He is working on making it smaller I believe so that ships we usually wouldn't be able to arm main guns with will be able to do so.

5. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

The topic of what rule set to use for construction has been discussed many times on the various forums. I think it is best to build a ship according to the closest active club’s rules. This gets a person up and running the quickest. I have found it is better to be in combat with any ship than it is to be building the ideal ship that will rarely, if ever, be used in combat.

If you do choose to build a ship for big gun combat, I suggest that you build it in conformance with the fast gun construction rules and add big gun turrets. That way your fine looking ship can be converted to fast gun should a local big gun club never materialize.

6. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

I was in the SCBG at the end. I still have the last club rules if you want a copy. I will see if I can locate a roster with contact information.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

That contact list would be very helpful in getting big gun back up and running in SoCal.

8. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

I will see what I can locate this weekend and let you know.

9. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

I haven't been in contact with most of these guys in a long time but some of the Email may still work. Rich and Pat were the last real active members as I recall. I believe rich had the CO2 tank and fill kit as well as the shore boat. cannot recall who got the fence material and posts along with the post drivers. the trailer was left when the company allowing us to store it closed down in Ontario. nobody had room fro it and contact with Steve was lost.
    I still have a lot of old news letters with some article on how to build a lot of boat parts/guns/pumps. if interested I can try and scan them and send them direct to someone.
    here is the list.

Donny ciccimaro@nosc.mil

Greg sinkemgreg@aol.com

Mark marksokel@aol.com

Mike repulse@pacbell.net

Pat patrickgravier@netzero.net

Rich outpost4k@aol.com

Steve papapup@aol.com

Alex softsponge638@msn.com

Mike mikehitchcock@att.net

Barry scrocks@aol.com

Tom tbuddingh@vari-lite.com

10. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Member

I would definitely appreciate those documents if its not too much of a hassle. My email is cheesejones@gmail.com

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you scan them, I'd be happy to rehost them here for the masses. You can email me direct at admin at rcwarshipcombat dot com

12. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Do you still have your Bolzano?

13. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

Sold my Scharnhorst a long time ago along with most of by gear when it looked like there was no one interested here in So Cal. Working on a destroyer just for fun. All I need is a radio and a club.

14. Captain obvious

Noticed at one point you had to "ribbed out" Bolzano's. Do you still have either of them?

15. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

Must have been someone else. I never had a Bolzano

16. Captain obvious

oh, I see. my mistake.

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

As of now efforts to revive SCBG as its own club have failed. But if in SoCal and looking for a club we now have a chapter of WWCC. Contact Rob Wood if interested.

18. Captain obvious

In actually in mi.

19. Jeremy C White

Jeremy C White New Member

Great to find this forum and thread!
    My Father John (JC) was the founder of SCBG and President for years.
    I was one of the original members and Captain'd a German DD. Eventually I bought the Scharnhorst though only got to fight it once. And I still have it!
    Though the gun system I gave to Steve Gamble for repairs n upgrades then I moved and lost touch.
    Has Steve been seen on this sight?
    Great to see this hobby is still alive. It is by far one of the most fun and intense hobbies there is... Always such a Blast..
    "I love the smell of Balsa Wood in the morning"

20. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Jeremy:

I use to coordinate combat between the north and south state with your father and came down and stayed with him a few times in Westminister, before going to Prado to play. Many of us lost track of your father and really want to know what happened with him. He is really missed! Thanks, Gary