New ship suggestions

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by MasterClay, May 14, 2014.

1. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

ok, i'm getting back into the hobby now that i have free time again and i'm looking for a ship to build. I'm thinking probably a Cruiser because i don't want anything too big. I was thinking either a FS La Galissonniere, Capatini Romani, or a Prinz Eugen. just looking for some feedback and opinions on these ships or any others anyone suggests

thanks, MasterClay

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like all of them. If I had to pick one, Prinz Eugen is nice because single drive prop single rudder is cheap and easy to do, and she gets 3 guns. I definitely like the Cap Romani because of the candycane stripes. Love that paint job.

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I'm going to assume fast gun, as you didn't specify & that's my knowledge base:
    That's a very mixed bag you have listed...
    French CL 49" long 2.5 units, about 11.5lbs
    Italian CL 39" long 1.5 units, about 5.5lbs
    German CA 57" long, 3.5 units, about 16lbs.

So you have everything from a DD with attitude to a "Cruiser" bigger than some Battle cruisers

If you're looking for something easy to build, forget the Italian. Too small. Small is a pain in the butt to build. Either of the other two would be fine.
    If you're looking for something that can switch-hit, the Frenchie is good. If you want roomy and good looking, PE is awesome.
    Also, you could go Des Moines, Suffren, or Aoba. All are good sized cruisers (DM bigger than PE) that would be easy builds

4. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

thanks for the input, i will look at the other ships as well. And yes i'm building for fast gun and i'm located in northern Illinois

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Suffren is a good one, single drive prop and two rudders makes for good turning, plus the ability to switch-hit.

6. misguided1

misguided1 Member

You also have the Baltimore. 52", 3.5 units. I think the looks of her are better then any German ship.

7. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

Ya I've been looking at alot of different ones but for some reason I like the axis ships more or at least one I can switch hit with

8. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I use a Oregon City in Treaty and it gives the room of the Baltimores and has a little more weight, very stable ship.
    Buddy

9. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

My favorite ships were the Warspite and the Spanish heavy cruiser Canarias. As a neutral Canarias can battle on either the Allied or Axis side which adds more options and fun to competition.
    I greatly regret selling Canarias, which is in the US now. I built it from one of my fiberglass Kent Class hulls, having made the mould intermediate in dimensions between the Kent and Canarias Class which differed by a few feet in length and beam. (Canarias and Baleares were based on the Kent Class and built with British assistance.) The hulls are now available from Strike Models. Highly recommended!