new ship

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by joe thomer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

will be building the DKM Admiral Graf Spree this winter, boat is on order now from strike models, at least will be trying to build it. seems like a good beginner boat to build and battle.

2. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Graf Spee is a good cruiser, roomy (for a cruiser) and can be armed with triple sterns if you want some serious punch. Do to her single rudder she wont turn as well as a Suffren but she is a still a good choice. The main thing is that she is a ship YOU want to build. Looking forward to seeing her out on the pond. There is going to be a lot of German boats on the water next year!

3. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

yes, agree, it better be a ship I wont to build, or it will just sit on the shelf. looking fwd to building actually, tried of just watching TV, not much on that anymore, amazing all those channels and nothing to watch. cannot thank phil and nick enought for getting me started. phil loaned me a boat and nick came over to get me started on how things work and fixed stuff.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Itll be nice having another German ship on the water. There werent enough last year. If you need any help let me know as well. My Bismarck is going through some fixes this winter.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

It should be a very german fleet next year. Hovey and I are both building WW1 german ships as well. What parts of the Bis are you redoing?

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Im splitting up the deck. Making the cannons rotate, clean up the wiring. Im debating whether I want to resheet her or not. Itll do untill next winter. Still up in the air on that one.

7. NickMyers

Rotates should be fun. I'm not sure I'd bother resheeting if I were you. Not that many battles on that sheeting and I don't think we chewed that much of it up, seems a bit like a waste of time and materials to do.

8. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Rotates? Should be interesting next year as half the new ships seem to include planning rotates. I wouldn't bother with resheeting unless you just want it to look pretty. We didn't hit you that many times. Looking forward to seeing everyone's new and/or improved boats.

9. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

qestion: we can get fast guns that rotate? I did see 1/4 and 3/16 that rotate, I think, on strike models, but was not aware BB/fast guns could rotate? were did you purchase the fast guns that can rotate, or did you build them yourself?

10. NickMyers

As far as I know, its do it yourself for fastgunners

11. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

12. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

alex,
    how far are you able to get them to rotate? must be coil guns I would asume also

13. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Yup, Rotates are only allowed on Class 4 and above. All my guns can rotate about 270 degrees. They are hand turn not by remote. I dont have a big enough controller for that :). They are coil. I had to come up with my own design for them. They are a lot sturdier than my design of last year. Oh... I also put my haymaker back in (75 round gun). Im back to 4 guns that rotate and two pumps. Should be fun.

14. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

pics of boat in work shop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. NickMyers

thats coming along nicely, thanks for the update and pics!

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Very Nice! If you still want to take a look at my Bismarck. I am pretty free after this week. I would also like to schedule a fun day we can just drive the boats around. Maybe a good time to try your new ship. I think Im just going to throw a day out next month and see what people say.

17. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

next month, driving boats around sounds like fun. the Graf spree will not be ready yet, but the Scharnhorst will be as soon as the new speed control shows up on our door step. over hauled it this winter, re-skin, new tubing, some structure work and mechanical fastened the guns down. peter is also working on a target barge to pull behind a boat for some target practice.

18. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Got any pics of Scharnie? From one Scharnhorst capt to another ;)
    J

19. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

you bet, no prob, also would you mind taking a few pic of yours and send, would like to see how she is layed out inside also.

20. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Will do,
    Did an engineering refit last summer and plan to redo the SS, once my kitchen renos are done.
    Wife doesn't understand that boat trumps kitchen in the grand scheme of things. :)
    J