new ship

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by joe thomer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Hey pamnjay can you send those Sharnhorst pics my way too? I've got one in the works. Trying to make a duel purpose (fastgun/Big Gun) though I don't know how that will work out.

2. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

couple pic of sharnhorst...kid painted the hull after reskined...waterline to thick, but he is learning and will get reskined anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

OOOOOO!!! I smell a battle a brewing!!

How about February 13th?

I will have my Bismarck ready to go and Phill's Montcalm.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

It looks like the 13th or the 20th.

If that works I will send an email out to everybody that I have emails for.

Get things going the right way ;) eh nick?

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'm behind on my projects, horribly behind.. 20th works better for me, I should have something seaworthy at that time...

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

OK! The 20th it is. I will send an email out soon.

If you need help with some of your boats Id be happy to help. I have a lot of spare time and not enough boats to work on. I just fixed up Phill's Montcalm. I would be happy to help you with yours. The bismarck is on the shelf until I get a new reciever.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Oh we need a location for the 20th. I was thinking somewhere bigger than Coal Creek. Is Swan Lake down in Tacoma pretty good size?

8. NickMyers

Depends on how much sediment came down since they last dredged it and how rainy its been. I'd say its similar size to Coal Creek on average. When we were out at Coal Creek in Oct they had dredged it out and it was considerably larger than earlier in the year.

The Suffren and Maru are both in a seaworthy state, I think I have afew spots to patch on both and I was going to resheet the Maru this offseason, but it'll be fine as is. My new toy is making progress again after a few months of being neglected - in the meantime I can drive the frenchie.

Were you able to order a replacement RX from HK?

9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Ya I ordered two more new recievers. OK sounds like Coal Creek it is. Ill get an email out this week.

10. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Hey, where is Coal Creek located? It's possible that I might be able to come over if it's not too far away. I live up by Bonners Ferry Idaho. I don't have a ship yet, so would it be possible for me to borrow a ship to use If I do in fact come? P.s. I changed my username from marsman1993 to what it is now.

11. NickMyers

12. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Ummmmm.....thats about 380 miles away. I talked with my dad about it, and he will NOT drive me that far:crying:. Sigh..... as much as I want to go, I won't be able to this time. Maybe if I had a car of my own.....

13. NickMyers

In the summer we often battle in Cle Elum, which would be about an hour closer, still a ways to go though.

14. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry it took so long. Here are a couple pics showing the various states of my Scharnhorst. I am going to put a thread in the constuction forum on the refit, but will put a couple inside pics here.
    J
    [​IMG]
    Scharnhorst when I got her,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A couple after the first refit, at CANNATS 10,
    [​IMG]
    Time for another re-SHEET and it turned into another re-FIT , amazing how that happens,
    [​IMG]
    This is fwd midships the bow is left, the bottle and reg are under there,
    [​IMG]
    This is the aft battery back to the motors. I have two drive motors with gearboxes and Scharnhorst has never worked better. During sea trials, I was able to accelerate, decelerate, go in reverse, and turn with Steve Crane’s Nagato. Overall I am very happy with the conversion.
    [​IMG]
    A less cluttered view here. You can see the ESCs in the water channel. The pump will actually be a little farther back in the final configuration.
    Hope you enjoy the pics and I will be doing a rebuild thread,
    J

15. Jay Jennings

Hi Dollar,
    I know Scharnhorst can be dual format IRC/MWC/Treaty but am not sure about Big Gun. I do know her speed and turning ability would be a big advantage in Treaty and probably Big Gun too. (BG uses a speed chart based on the real sship's peed doesn't it?)
    J

16. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

pamnjay,
    cool pics and nice boat.
    two batteries, lots of power. is that a aluminum frame under the forward battery, otter box and aft battery. with a channel to faunally the water to the bilge pump. also, there are two engines, must have dual props, ours only has one engine. two speed controllers, one for each engine I take it? or other. Like the supper structure, nice look.

17. Jay Jennings

Thanks,
    2 batteries yes, looking to put a third, smaller one exclusively for the pump. I use 1/2 inch angle aluminum for my battery tray. It is GOOPed into place and has never moved. The water is channelled to the pump and cool the ESCs at the same time. I did put two props to improve the accell/ decell performance and I was rewarded. I am now able to match the performance of Steve Crane's Nagato ( no biggie unless you have fought against it) HIs boat always out performed mine. My turning wasn't negatively affected either. Overall I am very happy with it now. The SS is the one John Coffil built years age and has lasted really well, but wood eventually needs to be replaced. I am planning to get to that soon.
    J

18. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

what club are guys with and were are you located?:)

19. Jay Jennings

I am with NABS (North Atlantic Battle Squadron) in Halifax Nova Scotia.
    Only a short 5-6 day drive from you :)
    J

20. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

yup...that would be the north atlantic fleet alright.:)