New Strike Hull Photos?

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by Bob Pottle, May 13, 2015.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

How about some photos of the Strike Models hulls that lack them? Espana and Courageous hulls made from my 1990s molds, the Profintern made from the improved hull plug I donated to Strike last year, Rob Clark's Arethusa hull, and the new HMS Dreadnought.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Great idea. Probably need some more "built" as well photos.

4. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We do have a photo of the four of them together on the Facebook page at Strike Models - Mobile Uploads | Facebook Here's a copy of the image:
    [​IMG]

I know there are pages that need updated images. If you have completed Strike ships and would like your photo to be on our page as an example, let us know!

5. NickMyers

An important question should be how much of the exterior of the ship needs to be Strike Models parts? For example, my Derf is a Strike hull, but the superstructure is all DIY (though the turret covers and 88s are parts that Strike sells)

6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Keri,
    Put the names of the ships inside (permanent marker?) so we know which hull is which. I can guess the yammer, but I have no idea on the other three.

7. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Yeah, what's that bathtub looking one at the bottom of the pic?

PrepmasterNick likes this.
  8. NickMyers

C3 i think

9. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

From the top:
    Yamato
    Dreadnought
    Profintern or Admiral Nakhimov
    Liberty

10. Bob Pottle

11. Bob Pottle

My previous post didn't work for some reason. The Profintern hull turned out nicely but I'm wondering what those apparent embrasures and vertical flanges are reaching almost to the stern. There were no aft embrasures on the real ship or the hull plug I donated to Strike. Steve had called me to discuss how to mold the aft end of the plug, which stopped at the rear casemates in the aft superstructure, and I suggested the method Ralph Coles used when I commissioned the original mold from him years ago. Perhaps what I'm seeing was an easier way of making the mold.

For those who plan to build a Profintern/Krasni Krym, the amidships sections are not the actual hull sides but the quarterdeck splinter screens that extended from the widest part of the forward superstructure aft to, and around, the two main armament sponsons on each side, then to the widest part of the aft superstructure. Therefore the quarterdeck should be installed about 8mm below the top edge of the splinter screens, level with the forward casemate embrasures and what appears to be an embrasure aft on the Strike hull but isn't. Note that I deepened the hull plug by 3/8" to give more (and 'legal') displacement.

Immediately aft of the rear pair of casemates the superstructure narrowed abruptly and extended further toward the stern (about 40% of the distance). If those molding flanges are the correct distance apart they could form the sides of the last section of superstructure but need to be much shorter. Do a websearch for Profintern plans and you'll see what I mean.

I believe this model, though a CL, has potential to be a fun combat model. It is fast and has two tandem rudders. There were 15 main armament guns: 4 in bow casemates, 2 in stern casemates, 4 on port and starboard sponsons, 3 on the forecastle and 2 on the aft superstructure so there are a vaiety of possible BB cannon installation options. I'm installing the BB cannons in casemates which as shown in photos are quite close to the waterline.

One variant I'm considering is 4 x 1/2 unit spurt guns in the bow casemates for base defense in Campaign Lite. My spurt gun design can fire 3 BBs per shot, so the ship can fire up to 3 salvos at stationary battleships shooting at shore targets. Test firing showed 3 BBs can make a substantial hole at close range. The idea would be to concentrate the fire of 4 spurt guns in a small area at waterlevel, less than a foot ahead of the bow.