New Trannsmission

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by JustinScott, Apr 8, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I took some photos of one of the NJ's new "wing" transmission, for one of the two outside props.

The material is (tested) no rust stainless steel. The gears I used are RRP. They are 35T & 12T for an (approx) overall ratio of 1:3. Yes they are both metal, but with lub they are not terribly noisy on their own.

Notice how close the gears are to the TVPs; but they will not touch because I embedded metal spacers in the TVP. These spacers go the whole way through the TVP to make sure the rotation of the shaft will not wear down the TVP itself (which was the killer of my first design)

TIP: Use / create spacers for similar designs; otherwise the rotation of the shaft will eventually wear down one side of the tvp & invoke a vibration which will beat away at the TVP until a large enough hole is made to create a jam or worse.

Functionally, I think I did a pretty good job. I've slammed it back an forth using the motor; but the real test (as always) will come on sea trials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Really nice looking, I'm looking for a single motor to 2 drive shaft system, for the larger boats, but no luck so far, have not had the time yet to try and make some of my own.

3. JustinScott

Guess I should update this thread. Sea trials came & went without much problem, as did her first battle. I have learned a lot about metalworking since I first created these, and now I want nothing more than re-doing them. But don't fix what ain't broke, right? Especially when I have 7 cannons to fabricate. I will return to them after the ship is armed & create a much better fully enclosed system.

As far as a 1 -> 2 tranny... they are available at greg's site basinshipyards.com & battlerconnection.com

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I bought some of Gregs, for some Mogami's, and I live not far from Rick at BC. BC does not have any at this time, and Greg's are fine for small ships, but not 500 or larger motors.

5. JustinScott

Well, if you have a dremel & a drill press... I can tell you how to make one.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Do I sense a how-to article coming up? ;)

7. JustinScott

ONLY if people really want to know. Like I said however, it works fine & will probably continue to work fine, but all I want to do is replace it. My replacement will require a lathe & mill...

8. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Even if nobody ever actually duplicates your work, I'm sure it would be an interesting read & maybe inspire somebody to try something that they might not otherwise.

JM

9. JustinScott

Guess that's true. I'll try to "git 'er dun" soon. No promises on when though, finding time for the boat at all right now is tough... women: can't live with 'em, can't sink 'em.