New Treaty Ship Projects

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Ralph Coles dropped by on the weekend with his Mogami hull and we worked on the rib and stringers layout. Also compared it to my incomplete IJN Ibuki CVL based on another of Ralph's Mogami hulls.
    Ibuki as designed as a Washington Treaty combat club model from the start but no work was done on it for the last 3 years, though props and rudders were installed, sheeting and flight deck are almost completed and it's ready for the internal equipment to go in. It has considerably more firepower under Treaty rules than IRCWCC.
    Ralph has decided to build the Mogami as a Treaty model as we like the idea of the slower speeds, and the ease with which models can be switched between formats. (Both my HMS Minotaur and HMS Gorgon can be switched between IRCWCC and Treaty rules by changing prop sizes and pump outlets. ;) Ralph and I plan to have our Japanese ships completed by May or early June.
    We've had only one Treaty battle locally, in Oct. 2008. It was attended by about 8 captains, three of whom are still living in Nova Scotia and interested in RC naval combat. Jason still has 2 or 3 ships in the Annapolis Valley, I have 2 set up for Treaty, Ibuki in the works and can easily modify Canarias to Treaty stats. Jason has an American cruiser (Little Rock?), a New Jersey and a Von der Tann.
    We hope to have at least five Class 3-4 models ready for action in 2015, including a couple of spares for captains without Treaty ships. Ralph and I also checked out my HMS Furious hull, first from the mould I sold to Strike Models. Furious is worth building under Treaty rules because it's one of the fastest ships, but should be used in a 'run and gun' role due to poor turning.

2. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi guys
    Are you still battling Treaty ?

3. Bob Pottle

Hi Buddy,
    When the NABS club reorganized in 2009 it split into 3 completely independent clubs formed by former Halifax/Dartmouth members living in three provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland. Each was to pick its combat format, officers etc. and shared only the name.
    The members still living in Halifax NS decided to have a dual format club, battling with Treaty and IRCWCC rules, and the other clubs were IRCWCC only. The local Treaty club morphed back into NABS NS. There had been only one Treaty battle, with about 6 captains, in Oct. 2008. Two more captains attended but their models didn't work. We liked the slower speeds and lower pump output, which seemed to produce more BB hits and sinks.

Unfortunately the Halifax based club has not battled since in either format, though one member attended NATS a few years ago. We were fairly active in 2009, with multiple build sessions. We started the I-400 hull project (which I finished in 2010), and I completely rebuilt a Superb Class CA for one member. Unfortunately at that point two more members moved away and most of the few remaining lost interest in the hobby. A few individuals have been working on ships independently and communicate occasionally on the forum but the club has not been active since 2009. A major problem is that we did not maintain our site permit and new regulations/liability issues might prevent an RC warship combat club from using public lakes.

Three of us have battle ready IRCWCC models, and two of us have models set up for Treaty Combat. I have the armored cruiser HMS Minotaur but it's being sold to Larry Dingle. HMS Gorgon, a small monitor, is battle ready and CA Canarias will be set up to battle either format with different props and pump outlets (as Gorgon and Minotaur are).

Jason Clark, who lies in another part of the province has an American CA and a WWI German BC (Von der Tann I think) set up for Treaty. He's not been able to find a suitable battle site in his area either, which is about 90 min. away.

Ralph Coles and I still plan to complete our Japanese ships for Treaty combat this year and I'll probably build the Furious for Treaty next year. I haven't decided whether it will be the as planned battlecruiser with single 18" guns fore and aft or the as completed hybrid carrier/BC with hangar and launch ramp for biplanes forward (bow cannon mounted beneath it), and single turret aft. The BC version would be better with two 75 rd sidemounts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hey, Bob! Long time no contact! I am happy that you are still around. Sorry that NABS is no longer active, I enjoyed my trips up there and battling with you fellows. Now that MWC and IRC are rejoined we have a larger group of battlers down here and more territory to fight within. Again good to hear from you.

5. Bob Pottle

Hi Marty,
    An attempt to reactivate NABS in late 2013 failed, but there are a few captains in the area with working models. None of the others have been active on the forum for months. I'm still working on new hull and model projects but have relatively little free time for the hobby. That'll change after retirement from full-time work in June 2016 - I'll be free to travel to events in the US. Hope to see you there.

6. Bob Pottle

Ralph Coles dropped in last weekend and reported he's not done any work on his Mogami and probably won't in the near future. Hes' too busy with non-RC warship combat projects.

Like him I've been too busy with other things to do complete the Japanese CVL Ibuki, which needs a huge amount of superstructure and weapon sponson work. Instead I've started working on the BB cannons in HMS Minotaur to make them fire more consistently. The problem with the bow gun seems to be the angle at which the magazine meets the breech. So shallow that the CO2 feed to the mag doesn't help - the BBs are probably rolling back out of the breech. The gun fires fine on the bench but not when installed.

I was going to sell Minotaur but it's my largest completed combat model at the moment and is set up for IRCWCC and Treaty combat, by switching pump outlets and props. I bought Spanish CA Canarias back from Larry Dingle last fall but it needs a total rebuild internally to return it to it's as built configuration with a CO2 capsule system. Until that's done I'll keep the Minotaur in case any of the few RC warship captains still in the area feel like battling this summer. By late summer I hope both ships are battle ready so they can be used at our cottage.

We're looking at another house that has a huge finished basement and workshop space far larger than what we have now. There's also enough land for a workshop in which I can resume hull mold production for the hobby. I have plans ready to start the Imperator Pavel Class predreadnoughts, Hawkins Class heavy crusiers and Dutch light cruiser De Ruyter.

7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Try putting a magnet on the far side of the T which holds the bb in the proper location for the piston. Kind of sucks the bb in from the magazine when the piston drops.

Marty

8. Bob Pottle

That's a great idea Marty. I'll put a rare earth magnet on the T and try that.

9. Bob Pottle

After further consideration of the merits of various CLs I've decided a Java Class model would be superior to De Ruyter: same speed and armament, center shaft with two others for drag props (vs De Ryter having only two shafts), only slightly less displacement than De Ruyter, significantly shorter and will turn better due to length plus the center drive shaft.

Java will go to the head of the list for my summer/fall hull mould project. The plan to build a mold for De Ruyter has been dropped.

I reviewed the Soviet small heavy cruiser Krasni Kavkaz (2.5 units) and decided it isn't worth building for RC warship combat. Both the Profintern, for which I've already done the hull plug and Strike the mold, and the Java would be superior combat models.

10. Bob Pottle

Profintern is under construction (see build thread). A decision was made to build it to IRCWCC specs initially though it could be switched to Treaty specs by changing the pump outlet size and reducing speed with a rheostat or smaller props.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015