new ways to battle

Discussion in 'General' started by Morgen Anthony, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

is there new ways to battle out there and would it be possible to add mines and torpedos to warships. how bout a new game mode like a cross between big and fast gun combat. i would love to hear your guys input and maybe an idea on how to make torpedoes that work like real ones... but things could get messy.;)

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Mines have been done before, they were a huge disaster and nearly caused the collapse of the WWCC before we banned them outright. They burned up a number of expensive motors (not cool), and resulted in games where half of the players were floating around disabled, unable to do anything useful. The consensus was "not fun in the slightest", and we banned them.

Torpedoes are used in Big Gun, they are a controversial subject and can be game-breaking if not properly addressed. Properly done, torpedoes allow a small group of destroyers or cruisers to be a significant threat to capital ships. Done improperly, a single ship can one-shot anything on the pond, and that wrecks the game for everyone. See the SCBG's Kitikami incident. The club politics following that incident resulted in the complete collapse of the club, and several attempts to revive it have failed.

buttsakauf likes this.
  3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

A new way to battle? I'd go for WAR GALLEYS!

jcollins and NickMyers like this.
  4. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

A fusion of sorts huh. Give the Battlestations format a look. Larger scale. 1/96th. Big gun cannons and torpedoes. Big gun sheeting. Modified rules from several formats. It is in its infancy so to speak however things are about to change soon. I am planning to do some hulls and guns this year and offer them up for basically my cost plus a bit to allow me to expand the mold list ECT. Going to be slow to start as I'm currently working 80+ hrs a week.

5. rcaircraftnut

The end goal is to grow the format and the hobby as a whole. And as far as self implosion of clubs goes, with Battlestations you must have a ship and have battled it at least once that season to be allowed to vote on any rules changes. It is a vote and majority rules. However the emphasis is on fun and participation so anyone who is not with program won't get very much support to cause something like an implosion.

6. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

The war galleys is a good idea

7. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

How about we add naval guns

Now that would be fun

8. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

If you haven't attended a battle, how do you know if it needs reinventing?

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would love to try Battlestations. The larger scale is ideal for predreadnought-era warships.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

Predread is on the list for the first three hulls. Just need to know what one is going to be most popular. Also a large dd and a good cruiser. All suggestions welcome.