New Website [Work In Progress]

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by NickMyers, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Since a good chunk of the local club knows about it at this point anyways...
    I've been working on a new website for the club. At this point its still an 'unofficial' club site and still under construction though I am posting event updates on it to keep the news current.
    You can visit it here
    If anyone has any content that they'd like to see on the site let me know. Feedback is welcome.

2. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

The site looks great so far Nick! Also appreciate the links on the front page. =]

I've worked on several Wordpress sites, and happy to lend a hand if you need it and it's something I know how to do. So far (in a two-minute look, admittedly) I didn't see huge errors and you've covered what a lot of people miss.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

That is a very clean DNN site, good job.

I thought of doing something like that but didn't want to host it from home or pay for a site monthly. Did you find a good hosting deal?

4. NickMyers

Thanks

An Ok deal. Its not all that cheap, but its not horribly expensive either. Around 80-90$ / year for the hosting if you pay by the year.

5. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

You don't want super-cheap either, because that's the service and support you'll get too.

I've liked hosting with tigertech.net, they're a reasonable price, great service, and know people with thousands of visitors daily that also get hit from Digg on occasion that haven't had a problem.

For Wordpress, I hosted a client on page.ly and was impressed by how easy it was to set up. They only do Wordpress sites however, but it was the easiest thing I've ever done.

Nick, take a look at that png file you're using for a header, and consider making it a jpg or otherwise reduce the file size. It's 130k right now, which is a bit on the high side. An easy plugin (though I'd still go for jpg in that case) to reduce files as you upload them is smushit for wordpress at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-smushit/. It'll take whatever you upload and automatically do a lossless compression.

6. NickMyers

page.ly is a bit out of my price range seeing as this is coming out of pocket.

I'll keep tigertech in mind for the future. I've had good luck with bluehost in the past, trying out hostgator on this one, been happy enough with it so far.

I'll look into the header

7. Peter Thomer

Peter Thomer New Member

:)nice website

8. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

so far so good!
    as a nube i have been digging through every warship site i can find, (including yours) in order to find useful information on how to construct all the different systems on my first boat.
    most all of the detail information is outdated 3 to 5 years
    i have found scraps of left overs, like 'the bb must just easily pass through the o-ring when not in compression'; informative, but not instructive.
    lo an behold; your site gave me the dimensions, a supplier and part # for the 'star o-ring'.
    it is details like that that will enlarge the base.
    i know from my work that the next generation wants it handed to them.
    i also like the good clear photos and accompanying info.

Let go and haul
    mike aka mate