New Yamato Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by robert reynolds, Mar 10, 2018.

1. robert reynolds

robert reynolds New Member

Starting to build a Yamato. Need a little help with rules though. The calculator says i can make 20 ribs at 3/8 inch. I don't see how from the top of the frame and bottom the areas go that i will be cutting. Does anyone have a prior Yamato build showing and saying how they cut out the areas for the balsa.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Welcome. Short answer, the top of the windows will be 3/8” down from the top of the hull. The bottom should be 1” minimum below the water line. To figure out where the waterline is, you can go off plans or weight the hull down to the desired end weight, float it in a pool or pond, and measure the amount of freeboard.

Have you gotten a chance to read through the rules? What other parts do you have? Have you talked with any captains or seen ships in person? There is a famous Musashi captain in upstate NY if you haven’t met him yet, and an event in May at his house.

3. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

59 lbs. is not easy to move around. Expensive to build and shot will curve to hit you just due to gravitational forces. My Nassau is just as much fun without the backaches. But if you must build it I can help a bit.

Panzer and Anachronus like this.
  4. robert reynolds

Yes, i have read the rules. I Just want to make sure I do the hull right the first time. I have seen battles in Texas, but it was some time ago. I have wanting to do this for a while, and have done a lot of research on this subject. I have never participated or built a warship before. I have bought everything but the turrets. I have prior experience with RC racing, Helicopters and Airplanes. I build and design robots and prosthetics as well.

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

It's not quite that big but close.

robert reynolds likes this.
  6. robert reynolds

I got it because it was the scariest Battleship, it is even still compared to battleships made decades later

Anachronus and rcaircraftnut like this.
  7. Kevin P.

I'm glad we didn't scare you off (yet). @thegeek is the closest active battler to you and has a Musashi or two on hand. If you ask nicely (and promise that you don't have a 3d printer) he might be willing to help

I built an Iowa last year, here is the build thread showing the general construction steps for a big ship

https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/uss-missouri-build-ircwcc.445059/

Your building experience should be very valuable, but seeing ships in person can't be beat

robert reynolds and Beaver like this.
  8. thegeek

Two empty hulls (guts went into Biz). But I do have most of the molds of the super structure (AA guns too).
    Come to the battle in early May and see many ships and talk to the captains. Nothing like seeing a battle and seeing
    the ships.

9. robert reynolds

I have couple questions. First the units. Three big guns is three units. Two units for two pumps. What should i do with the other units?

10. robert reynolds

Ill go sounds like fun

11. robert reynolds

did you use aluminum tube for the little guns around the ship?

12. Kevin P.

So 1 unit is just 1 barrel, not the whole turret, so you get to arm two of the barrels in each forward turret, and either arm all 3 barrels in the aft turret and use 1 pump, or arm two barrels and get two pumps.

For the secondary guns I used small steel rod and a piece of aluminum tube around the lower half of the rod

13. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I think that if you use 2 stringers the deck and subdeck area can only be 1/4" thick. If 1 stringer is used it can be 3/8".

14. robert reynolds

First in advance thanks for help and guidance.
    Hello, I finally have the time to start working on the ship, I have Friday off. Couple questions to clarify before i start drawing lines and cutting the hull.
    The ship is about 73.5 inches long, the rib calculator say I have to make 32 1/4", and 1/64" left over or 21 3/8", 1 1/8", and 1/64" left over, ribs.
    Length wise on the hull can the stringers, it is looking like I need four, attached pictures for reference, they have to be 1/8, but can they be that for the length of the shape in the ships hull?
    They would be 3 to 4 feet in length going down the hull.
    Also I want to make sure that when using stringers that is doesn't change the size of the ribs you have to use.
    Another thing is toward the end of the ship, i don't know what the parts of the ship is called but there is a section with two vertical, straight line, areas in the hull.
    I am guessing that i can make both of those 1/4 or 1/8 ribs , but that would not go perfectly with what the rules say. They almost make a square circle, at the top of the hull. This is at the far left of both pictures.

Attached Files:

15. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

16. robert reynolds

thank you

17. Kevin P.

Take the hull with you to the battle in a couple weeks, with some 1/4 and 1/8 inch tape. It’s way easier to show in person than to try and type out

robert reynolds likes this.
  18. thegeek

I have the tape. Just bring the hull and a note pad and pen. Camera would be nice too.

19. robert reynolds

Couldn't get to the event in NY, work of course did make a new stand though. And started printed 3D parts.

Attached Files: