Newbie has questions for IRCWCC veterans

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by George Reborn, Jan 18, 2020.

1. George Reborn

George Reborn Member

Any IRCWCC veterans out there who could spare a few minutes answering a newbie's questions?

Based on what I've seen on the relevant web pages, I don't have anyone who lives close enough to me to show me the ropes (am in Lee County, FL). So, if I want to do this, am going to need a lot remote counseling. That said, have read through the IRCWCC rules (safety, construction, events), perused the by-laws, looked at a lot of photos and videos and downloaded the Shiplist spreadsheet. Heck, I even got a free copies of plans for the Dunkirque and Jean Bart.

I have targeted inquiries regarding ribbing requirements, modularization of the hull, cannon design and... can't think of anything else right now.

Can be reached at 239-676-8804. Friends call me George.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    rcaircraftnut and acomputerdog like this.
  2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

we'd be happy to reply here... and then it is there to help others as well

take a look at some of the stem to stern build threads first. Let us know your RC experience, available tools, etc.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Welcome. Dave @djranier is in Florida and might be willing to help

4. George Reborn

George Reborn Member

THX for the responses, Greg and Kevin.

So, about George (me): was forced to retire early due to disability and am recently widowed. 8=( Am looking for positive activities with which to fill my life (as opposed to drinking, gambling and carousing). Live in Lee County (FL), north of Naples (i.e., on the Gulf side). Don't have any RC experience, no tools (sold or gave almost everything away when I moved in December) and no workshop where I'm at (although I can probably improvise something in the back yard). Oh, and I'm not particularly mechanically gifted.

On the positive side, before my disability, I was an IT professional of many years in various specialties, so I know how to solve problems and do learn quickly; in addition, am doggedly tenacious (as in, OCD). Also, am a big kid at heart, so I like toys. Anyhow, I figure building my first RC warship will take me about 1,000 man hours and up to $1,000 (which is a whole lot less expensive and dangerous than the 2019 Corvette I was eyeballing the other day!) I know a little about practical electronics and firearms.

BTW, I recognize that, given my geographical location, I'd be traveling to events. I do not expect to be pampered - i.e., I work around your schedule, if I'm asking for help. I'm noob and a dummy starting to learn a hobby - been there, done that.

So far (in 4 days), have...
    • Downloaded and read in detail several Big Gun construction manuals;
    • Perused the by-laws, membership rules and 2020 event schedules of several RC warship clubs;
    • Downloaded a couple of 1:144 scale ship plans for free (found them to be too simplistic, especially for a noob like me);
    • Spent a couple of hours viewing videos of sorties and battles (Big Gun and Fast Gun, both);
    • Have spoken by telephone and with corresponded with a couple of guys from the SES chapter of IRCWCC;
    • Contacted battlersconnection.com - asked LOTS of questions about cannons;
    • Have downloaded and am experimenting with several 3D modeling tools to assist in developing properly documented engineering plans from which to build an RC warship (all systems);
    • Have made lots of call to local hobby and craft stores to ask about materials I might use in creating a hull.
    Am sure there's more I could throw in this list, but I've got to wrap up this post. Anyhow, my email is not2dead@reborn.com. By telephone, can be reached at 951-660-6938 (cell) or at 239-676-8804 (land line). Reach out to me; I mostly don't bite. 8=)

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Welcome. Looks like you are about 7.5 hours from Statesboro, GA, which will be the closest battling site. Upcoming events in February and May, found here https://www.southeastattacksquadron.org/eventlist.shtml?SAS. They battle under IRCWCC rules, found here http://ircwcc.com/main/home/rules/

Typically we start with a fiberglass hull from Battlers Connection or another supplier, typically somewhere between Class 3 and 5 (heavy cruisers, dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, super dreadnoughts). You can also typically find a partial used ship either on this site or through your local (relative) group

Take a look through some build threads on this site. I have tried to document most steps of a build in my build threads. They can give you a better picture from how to go from a hull to a reliable RC warship

Agincourt - Class 5 British Super Dreadnought - https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/agincourt-build-ircwcc.445369/
    Courbet - Class 4 French Dreadnought - https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/courbet-class-ircwcc.445696/
    Lutzow - Class 3 German Heavy Cruiser - https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/dkm-luetzow-ircwcc.446131/
    Fiji - Class 2 British Light Cruiser - https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/hms-fiji-refit.445461/

There are several other good build threads out there, I just don't know them off the top of my head

Your price estimate is in the right ballpark. Hours is probably closer to 150

For 3D modelling, I would not recommend spending a whole lot of time on it given your experience level. There are certainly instances where CAD and 3D printing can be useful, but its more efficient to look at other completed boats (ideally the ones that work well) and take ideas that you like and adapt them for your ship

Looking through the build threads should give you a better idea of what parts you would need. I try to document sources when I remember. It's easier to answer a question of "where can I get that thing in that picture" than "where do I get all of my parts," because there is not a single consolidated source list (on my to-do list, I have something close)

Hope this helps

6. George Reborn

George Reborn Member

THX for the input, Kevin.

Hope you're right about the shorter hours for full ship build.

Good to know that one can order a prefabricated fiberglass hull to get started. However, I looked at the Agincourt build link you sent and have a couple of questions...
    • You had to connect the 2 halves of the fiberglass hull you received - doesn't that reduce structural integrity?
    • At what point does one trim the prefabricated fiberglass hull to 1 inch below the waterline, in order to make possible the penetrable areas demanded by the rules?
    Seems to me that, no matter what, a ship builder has to lay a keel of some kind, connect the ribs to it and skin the whole thing, in order to make a hull. If you're going to have to do all that, why not just go all the way and put fiberglass on the hull bottom yourself? The Yahoo videos I've looked at make the sheeting process look feasible, even for a putz like me.

The 3D modeling thing is, well, my way of leveraging professional skills from a previous life (before I became disabled). At a minimum, I want to document my ship builds accurately and extensively, in order to produce, eventually, a construction template of some kind.

Will the review the remaining links you sent at earliest opportunity. Again, many thanks.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

There are lots of ways to build. Fiberglass is really popular, just make sure not to breathe the dust it generates. Oscillating tools or dremels work for cutting windows in it.

Most glass hulls are already one piece, and plenty stout to not require additional keels & ribs (for fast gun, big gun sometimes does up armor them) (well with some exceptions for really light weight small boats). The biggest benefit of a 3d printer/cad software for a beginner is mounts for standard components. Beyond that, I generally don't recommend making your own pumps/cannons initially until you understand both how they work and how they fail. Fusion 360 is a great free choice for CAD.

Materials is another loaded question, we all have our preferences and preferred methods. I have moved to using as much plastic as possible in superstructures and other bits, just to minimize waterproofing. Downside there is you either 3d print it, laser cut it, or have fun with a jigsaw/bandsaw.

Electronics wise, there are tons of options out there (and tons of opinions on what is best). If you want to see methods to design and build wood kits, see the build / assembly threads for SMS Deutschland and the french battleship Provence.

8. George Reborn

George Reborn Member

THX, Craig.

You answered my question about how to create the penetrable areas in a prefabricated fiberglass hull. You cut windows in the hull, of course!

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, George. I believe there are a number of used/partially-built/needs-refit ships in the Statesboro area. Show up to a battle and say hi. Even better, if you show up to a battle with NAMBA insurance ready, we can see about getting you at the helm of a proper battleship for a sortie or two.
    I would also like to point out that nowadays, class 3/4/5 is not your only options for starter boats. Vac-u-Boat makes some very nice Gearing kits that are quite rookie-friendly. I am building a couple right now, it can all be done with hand tools. And if you don't want to be an allied swine, they are working on a german Z-boat and (I think) a Shimakaze.

10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I would never recommend a destroyer as a rookie boat. Too much invested in too little for not enough fun. For a third ship, or a dedicated campaign destroyer? Sure. Not as your one and only. For minimal investment above the destroyer, you'd have an operational cruiser that would be a lot more entertainment.

Cruiser at the minimum, class 4 battlecruiser would be ideal.

@Kevin P. is a veteran of this hobby with many battles under his belt and is one of the best builders I've seen. Listen to him, you won't be led astray. @bkoehler is the site host for the Statesboro GA battles and is also a good contact for advice.

Come up in Feb to GA, you'll meet a bunch of us (Myself and @Kevin P. included) and if you have NAMBA and a current IRCWCC membership I'm sure we can arrange for you to end up behind the wheel.

-Will

11. George Reborn

George Reborn Member

Good to hear from everybody.

After a hard trip back and lots of running around in Pennsylvania, am ready to go home. Will be heading back south to Florida on Saturday. Have already reached out to Charley Stephens to see if we can meed briefly on Sunday in Tennessee.

My guess (subject to change) is that I'll start driving through Georgia on Tuesday, 28 January. Will almost certainly be heading south along I-75. It'd be a pleasure to meet with anyone, in Statesboro or elsewhere, even if I have to divert to get to you. I seem to remember I sent an email about this to John Jones, but, as I have 2 remaining brain cells and they're both on life support...

Anyhow, I think I'm being invited to the SAS February Fracas event to be held on February 22nd at and 23rd at Fred Fletcher Park in Statesboro, GA. To skipper a ship, need NAMBA insurance. To register for the event, have to join SAS. Will take care these things and BE THERE!

OK - have to head off to a doctor's visit. Best regards, everyone.

12. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I live in Orange county, Not far from the airport, so not far away. Don and Rick both live here also, but both just retired from the hobby, and we have Frank down in Sebring. Frank and I are planning to go to Statesboro in May, the March battle we think the water will be too cold to help fetch the destroyers we sink, and would feel badly if we did not help them retrieve their boats.

I actually have hulls sitting in the garage that will never get made, was going to donate some to Brian next time I see him, and I got a French HC Foch that is complete, may need a couple of motors, you can have super cheap, like $100 including the radio, could be on the water in a day or so of fitting out. I just got way to much stuff I collected over the years, even a Iowa that just needs the internals installed if your a real glutton for punishment.

13. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad about being far away. I live In Oklahoma near the SE corner of the state. Closest to me is a min 6 he drive unless someone is still active in the DFW area.
    Welcome aboard. Hope to be able to be of any help I can be. Always willing to help someone else get on the water.
    Maybe someday I can stop by if I ever get to go visit my Grandparents in central Florida. Lol.

14. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Jeff, Tim, and Chris are all in DFW. You should arrange to come down sometime.

5-6 hours is local battling as far as I am concerned. Broken Bow is 4.5 hours from Cleveland, Texas (Zaruba's pond) which is an easy morning drive.

It is very rare to have a large group in a 1hr radius that battles all the time.

bsgkid117 and rcaircraftnut like this.
  15. rcaircraftnut

That would be great. Just need to know if they are fast gun or big gun lol. Been out of touch lately and not having much luck remembering where what and who. Haha.

16. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Where are you at in Oklahoma? As mentioned, there's a few of us in DFW.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  17. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Fast gun is what I was referring to but there is a big gun group there as well.

18. rcaircraftnut

Cool. I have fast gun ships in for refit. Maybe I can get around to completing the 1/96th Prinz Eugen this year.

19. rcaircraftnut

I am rite in the SE corner. 4 miles to AR line. 45 min north of Broken Bow. If you ever heard of the Clinton drug ring in AR centered around Mena aviation and Barry Seal, that's Mena AR 25 min north lol.

20. rcaircraftnut

I was doing treaty up in Ohio but since I am no longer driving OTR getting to battle's has been next to impossible. DFW I can do.