Newbie living in eastern NC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Matthew Cates, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

Hello,
    I'm new r/c battle. Both my son and I are interested in getting started after watching some really cool videos on youtube. Both of us have other r/c crafts such as a basic boat, a couple of drones, a helo, and a 4' wing span plane. Weather often fouls flying out here, so something able to get wet is better! I'm interested in getting connected with a local club before purchasing our first vessel. Assistance in finding once would be awesome, thanks!

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Welcome. There are clubs in states all around you. Not sure exactly all the drtails but if you look in the clubs section you will find them. I am a member in Oh but live in Ok. This hobby requires travel almost always.

3. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Southeast Attack Squadron is the closest club to you: http://www.southeastattacksquadron.org/index.shtml

Grab some eye protection for you and your son and get out to a battle! You'll meet some captains and have a much better idea of what ship would be right for you. Schedule here: http://ircwcc.com/main/
    (Not a bad idea to read through the rules too to get familiar with how it all works)

Check out the locations tab at the top of the screen, that provides a map with user & pond locations

Doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with the available components and kits you can buy: http://battlersconnection.com/

Nationals this year are held in Lancing TN July 8-13. Plan on attending if not participating since that will be really close to you.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey, welcome!
    Like pigeonboy said, the guys in Georgia will probably be the closest regular battles near you. Our nationals will be held in Tennessee this year. That will be a weeklong event so it’d be a good chance to get a look at the hobby.
    Might I ask what YouTube channel you were watching? :)

5. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

welcome!

6. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

Not sure on the channel. I actually came across big gun and fast gun videos while looking at r/c submarine videos. Travel far is going to be incredibly difficult for me for the next few years, so I'm not sure if I can make it to even TN.

7. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

One question for a first ship build...I love BB, but also interested in Heavy Cruisers. I want something a rookie can battle with, but enjoy the ship for a long time. I am keen on Tenn class, NC, and Des Moines, but open for suggestions. Thanks!

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I am an active member of the SAS, I just moved to Charleston SC. I highly recommend you come to our next battle, but if you don't want to wait that long you can swing by my place and take a look at some ships in person.

9. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

I am planning to attend in TN this summer and will definitely be bringing a note pad and take lots of pictures. Seeing a few options before hand would be cool though and Charleston is about 5.5 hours from me! I did just think about size limitations...specifically my car's cargo space. I will take measurements of my rear seating section and with one side of my rear seats folded down. That will have to do unless I fit my little car for a small box trailer!

10. rcaircraftnut

Roof racks are another great option as long as you get a darn good one that you know ain't coming off in flight so to speak lol.

11. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

ah, that is an option. I guess you strap em down inverted and put the superstructure/ internals inside? hmm, might have to look around then!

12. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I’d stick with inside the car... I have a Tennessee that just fits across my car’s back seat, but measuring first is a good plan. There are plenty of ships out that that should fit inside a car just fine. You should stick with a class 4 or 5 boat to meet your criteria

NickMyers likes this.
  13. rcaircraftnut

Nope you get a big box and attach it to the rack and put the ships inside. Safe secure and best of all bird dokie free.

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

If one side folds down you can probably fit just about any boat in there, you dont need a box or a roof rack or anything fancy. I fit a Bismarck, a VDT, gear for NATS, clothes, my sister, her stuff, and me in a civic coupe.

15. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

Thanks Snipe, I have a Mk 4 Jetta, so it is a bit small in the cabin. I do however have more room than a civic coupe. I looked into the roof rack and cargo box, that is going to cost more than a complete build of a detailed Yamato. sigh. I make put a hitch on the car and rent a small uhaul box if I can't fit everyone and everything in my car. Needless to say, the Sub woofer and box will likely have to come out of the trunk! I'd hate for the sonic waves to inadvertently shake things loose! Hah!

16. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

An inventive dude could build a break apart Yamato...

upload_2018-3-19_11-16-29.png

17. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

20150317_112551.jpg 20160930_183522.jpg
    Not the best pictures, but in the mean time maybe you'll settle for a 2-piece 12 foot USS Missouri. Seam in the hull is where it breaks apart into two 6 foot sections.

Attached Files:

rcaircraftnut and SteveT44 like this.
  18. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Sure, you can do that (I even did that on an NC in three parts - to fit into a suitcase). Even if you put it together with bolts, all you need to do is a thin piece of silkspan on the outside to cover the seam

19. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

20. rcaircraftnut

I am doing a 1/96 scale Prinz Eugen and the first 18" or so of the bow is removable so it will fit in the sleeper of my rig.