Newbie living in eastern NC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Matthew Cates, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

I like it! All great ideas, thank you gentlemen!

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Anytime bud. You will find we are a helpful community.

3. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Or snag a “battle-wagon” such as a clone of the following vehicle owned by yours truly (pun fully intended). 2.5 tons of body on frame goodness. 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX wagon:cool:. Pick a ship in 1/144... it fits with room to spare:D. Not to mention it is a fine vehicle of true elegance and comfort! lol

Edit: and parts are dirt cheap!

Attached Files:

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Do you get free cadavers with it? ;)

rcaircraftnut and buttsakauf like this.
  5. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

That is an idea. What seal is needed at the rib joint?

6. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

I won't be buying a vehicle anytime soon and not likely to part with my jetta unless someone totals it beyond repair. lol I like the v6/ 5 spd gearbox too much. trailer hitch is an option though...

7. buttsakauf

No, but much to my dismay. My 72,000 mile gem, that I have $2500 in, does come with way more attention from “car dudes” than any of my 22 vehicles before it (I have a sickness). Which chafes mightily with all the blood, sweat, tears, and money I poured into things like my 550hp 347ci naturally aspirated Mustang.

8. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

You really don't need any additional car attachments for just a 1 boat operation. If you are efficient you can very reasonably get down to two-three tool boxes (batteries, charger, some spare parts, minor hand tools), the boat, a folding table and chair. If you can fit a pop up canopy great, if not there is usually some extra space under someone else's. I am not an efficient packer by any means and I have room for two class 4-5 boats (and lots of stuff I don't need) in a small sedan of similar size to the jetta

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I drove a Nagato home once in the front passenger seat of my grand am. Bow on the floormat, stern up by the headrest.

10. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

yep, need a trailer to haul all that with weekend bags and cooler. I'd like to have room for 2 or 3 people in the cabin. Guess the sub and amp will have to come out for the roadtrips...darn! lol

11. NickMyers

You could get one of those little luggage platforms that goes on the hitch. For the cooler, not the boats.

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

That wagon brings back the childhood memories. Does it have the rear fold down rumble seat?

rcaircraftnut and WillCover like this.
  13. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

If the boat you want requires you to spend more on getting it to the pond, maybe you could rethink the boat of choice? Have you been to a battle or driven a boat in a battle? Asking as the money you would spend on a huge boat only to find you don't like it (this can be expensive in both money and time) would really be dissapointing.
    Start with a cruiser and get that up and running (and battling). Then build the behemoth and keep the cruiser to get a potential captain near you hooked on the hobby.

14. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

All this "squeezing" big ships into small vehicles does bring back memories of Doug Martin (another WWCC Founding member) who use to haul a Bismarck, hanging out both side windows of a 1960's VW Bug. Back to big, I was able to get the 12 foot Missouri and an 8 foot Salt Lake City, both in the back of my Sienna "Soccer Mom" van.

15. buttsakauf

It does, much to the delight of my children (only used around the neighborhood in prudence)!

16. Matthew Cates

Matthew Cates Member

Lou, you do have a sound argument. I do Luke Battleships, but I really don't want that as a first build. I am also interested in the Heavy and Battle Cruiser classes. I would think 5 or 6 feet for lengthwould be the longest hull length. With that in mind, I could fit ship and gear for a road trip without dropping down both rear seats. I am curious about the handling and combat characteristics of these ships as well. I'm looking for teeth in combat, not be a supper easy sink ( I got that covered on my own), and has some handling ablilities. Something fit that description?

17. NickMyers

being a super easy sink is really all about you as a captain and a builder and not so much the ship in concept. Build a shitty ship that has tons of problems and malfunctions, or fail to maintain a ship, and you'll be an easy sink. Stick your ship places where it shouldn't be and you'll be an easy sink (this will likely happen a lot early on, don't be discouraged).

Are you interested in any particular navy or era?

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  18. rcaircraftnut

I used to have a 75 super Beatle. Hauled my 1/4 scale cub in it. Plus all the gear for a day at the field. It did fit much better after I crashed it lol.

19. NickMyers

after you crashed the beetle or the cub? :/

20. rcaircraftnut

Figured that was self explanatory lol. The car was pre crashed. Had a pug nose due to a p o. Lol.