Newby

Discussion in 'General' started by Maverickbill, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

I have been following for a while, off and on. I first learned of this from threads from Ron Thibault in the mid 90s. I have built his gun and have been playing with others. My question is, will you help someone that wishes to make newer boats, I like the patrol boats of the 60s. I like your battles, however the people around me do not want to sink there boats and would like to spar and hit targets or play boats. I have designs for small cannons but will need help on electrical if some one is interested in helping. IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0749.JPG

2. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

I will move the rest of my post to the ship build, and I know this is not what this forum is about. Just say the word and I will not post.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Looks like a neat boat build. We're happy to answer questions but tend to be wary of builds that fall outside organized rulesets for safety concerns - its not uncommon for us to get kids in here who want to do all manner of unsafe and scary things.

In other news, your location does drop you in range for SAS events. Maybe drop @djranier and @VVaholic a line and they can tell you more about events in your region.

4. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

At 55 I'm still a kid at hart but my body tells me I'm 65

Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  5. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

My boat will be built by the rules except way faster and not sink, some things on my boat will not meet your rules, like the #8 shot machine gun that I'm working on. I will just ask the questions as I build and see what happens. Don't wish to step on any ones toes

6. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

My first question is about the resistors put on the cannons, why are they put on?

7. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Fly back diodes are use across the dc feed to provide a path for the collapse of the magnetic field that causes a voltage to be generated .
    This voltage spike can cause problems if it gets to other sensitive parts of the system (radio)

8. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

Wow that is greek to a plumber no compreday hosea

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Just means that when power is applied to an inductive load (motors, solenoids) there is a potential for voltage kickback when the power is turned off. The kickback could destroy sensitive electronics. The diode keeps the kickback from reaching the electronics.

10. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

ok, I will need help on this part. I have seen questions on PVC use and can tell people that they can drill and tap schd 80 that I am using. or they can drill and tap the fittings on schd 40 pipe, but when it comes to electrical I am lost

11. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

is this when it goes under water or even when dry

12. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

13. Maverickbill

Maverickbill New Member

Thank you so much, I will show photos of my build and hope you will help on the electrical. My boat is set at 145 psi, I'm not trying anything crazy just safe fun