Next Hull Project

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

After operating naval combat models from Class 1-6 I think the best bang for my buck was HMS Warspite (Class 5). Having sold Warspite I've decided to build a hull mold for HMS QE and Valiant post-reconstruction in early WWII.

Those two QE Class ships were reconstructed after Warspite with a slightly different superstructure and completely different secondary armament. The 6" guns and their casemate were removed (which makes the hull plug much easier to build) and replaced by 10 twin 4.5" turrets like those on the Illustrious Class carriers.

The forecastle deck was widened and given more sheer and the quarterdeck was extended forward to accomodate two secondary turrets per side (the remaining 6 secondary turrets were on the forecastle deck). The bulges were almost identical to Warspite's and will be accurately represented, with 2 steps, instead of being smoothed out for easier sheeting as on the Ralph Coles QE hull.

I have a good set of hull sections and will start the plug in November. The mold should be done by March '09.

Bob

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Bob
    That is good news.
    Did you ever get the plans for the G-3 (and Lion)?
    Mikey

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Bob if you do make this hull, I would be interested in buying one.

4. Bob Pottle

Paul,
    I intend to proceed with the QE project over the winter. should have a hull for you by May.

Bob

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob.

6. Bob Pottle

Mikey,
    I decided not to proceed with the G3 or Lion hypotheticals due to shipping problems. Carriers like UPS will no longer insure 'personal' items such as hulls going to the U.S. There's no way I'm going to make a large hull and be on the hook to replace it if it gets lost by the shipper or in U.S. customs.

After my QE/Valiant and Argus hull molds are done I'll only make hulls short enough to ship by Canada Post, which will insure them. That limits maximum hull length to 462' LOA.

I'm only making the QE and the Argus molds because I want to build those ships. I doubt that any will be exported unless I take hulls to sell at events in the U.S.

Bob

7. Bob Pottle

Rob Clarke loaned me his Profile Morskie book on the QE and the plans are excellent. I plan to start work on the plug's wooden frame in late November.

Bob

8. Bob Pottle

I've decided not to proceed with the 'as reconstructed' QE/Valiant hull project. I don't need another 25 knot ship model, especially now that I'm battling under Treaty rules and already have a more powerful slow battleship under construction. I used a QE Class (Warspite) for 6 years and would rather complete and battle with HMS Rodney than another QE.

Another reason is economical. I can't justify spending lots of time or $$ on a mold when sales of hulls are so uncertain. I paid Ralph Coles nearly $1000 to make the HMAS Albatross (carrier) and Krasni Krim (CL) molds in 2006 but have only sold one KK hull.

I spent a large amount of time making the mold for HMS Vanguard in 2003 but haven't sold a single hull, though it's the best I've made. The only reason there are a few Vanguard hulls around is that I loaned the mold to Ralph Coles so he could sell a couple when he was out of work. I loaned it to Steve Hill to make a hull for himself. He made 1-2 extras and sold one locally. I didn't make a cent on the project. [:(][:(]

I'm unlikely to make any new molds unless they're for hulls I need for myself, like HMS Abdiel and HMS Argus or Hermes (carriers). I'll start the Abdiel as soon as Scott Foster gets the plans to me.

Bob

9. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that Bob, but completely understand. All of the Canadian hulls I have seen (both yours and Ralph Coles' hulls) have been top notch. The only thing I can imagine is that the poor sales are due to the hulls not being "popular" performers.

A Vanguard should be a good Treaty ship at 30 knots and 7.0 units. The 4 turrets gives her a lot of options as well.

10. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I too am sorry to hear that Bob, but keep me posted if you change your mind, you never know we may be able to sell some for you up hear.

11. Bob Pottle

True Mike, many of my hulls have been for unusual or famous ships, but some make very good combat models.

NABS models of the Canarias Class and Kent Class CAs were top notch heavy cruisers for R/C combat and far more survivable/seaworthy than the Northamptons from SW. In Treaty, where only sinks count, they will be superb due to their high freeboard and large reserve buoyancy. (That's why I'm going to build HMS London.)

My Espana was the equal of the famous IRCWCC 'bacon maker' South Carolina models, and the Warrior/Duke of Edinburgh and Minotaur Class armoured cruisers have proven to be good Class 3 battlers that are much more maneuverable than heavy cruisers and only a tad slower in IRCWCC.

The Gorgon Class monitors are probably the most effective combat models for their size and have defeated much larger opponents.

If Tugboat and/or BC get those hulls into production and a few get built they may become popular combat models. Last time I was in contact with Tugboat he was making arrangements to loan the molds for those ships to BC.

Bob

12. Bob Pottle

Hi Chris,
    I'd like to make a Canadian warship hull to help promote the hobby in Canada, but the choices are limited. Eric already makes the Prince Class hulls for the 3 AMCs, later converted to a CLAA and 2 Assault Landing Ships. Steve has a Colony class mold suitable for HMCS Uganda and Ontario, though it has a big error in the sloping q-deck and 3/8" too low stern. That takes care of everything above DD size except for the Canadian CVEs and late/post WWII CVLs.

I would love to do a mold for CVLs Magnificent and Warrior, both of which were laid down in time to be legal for IRCWCC and Treaty. As carriers they have better combat stats under Treaty rules. So far I have lots of photos and some drawings but no hull cross-sections. If I had those I'd rather make a Canadian CVL hull than HMS Hermes or Argus.

Bob

13. crzyhawk

I firmly agree with you that the Counties really come into their own in Treaty, especially since we moved the extra 50% rudder area up to 630 ft (where it was originally proposed in the IRCWCC) from 599 ft. At 633 ft with the extra rudder area, she should turn better and have more reserve buoyancy then the Northampton from Swampy and the Cleveland from BC. Not counting points means that the extra freeboard isnt an open invitation to "point farm" aboves.

I think the Counties are quite possibly the best Allied cruisers you can build for Treaty. I did battle against an Espana built from one of your hulls and it was a nasty little customer, I'm surprised that there was never any more interest in the ship. Then again, I have always been surprised that the Allies never built British WW1 dreadnoughts with twin rudders to counter all the WW1 German battleships out there.

14. Bob Pottle

Someone in the IRCWCC built an HMS Bellerophon 5-7 years ago but reported stability problems with the model. I don't know why - my experience with Espana wouldn't suggest stability problems with any of the early dreadnoughts. Their draft tended to be quite deep for their size.

Ralph Coles and I each considered making a mold for Dreadnought and the almost identical Bellerophon Class. Rob Clarke did but I guess he wasn't happy enough with the result to market the hulls. A NABS member is building HMS Dreadnought from the hull Rob made. I have the Anatomy of the Ship volumn on Dreadnought and haul it out every few months. I'll probably give in and make the mold eventually.

Bob

15. crzyhawk

I can't imagine the stability issues being that bad. My Invincible has excellent stability, and it's more narrow then a Bellerophon IIRC. I'd think those ugly old dreadnoughts would be just the ticket for taking on Konigs and the like.

16. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

BC should have the Iron Duke hull available very soon, one or 2 weeks at the most I would think. The fellow at Mouldcraft started making the mould from my plug last week, so it should be any time now.

Of course I get the first hull. I plan on battling her at Nats this year. I know that BC has a few more sold already, as soon as they announce that its available, BC should sell a few more I would think, enough people seem interested in the ID.

17. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I know i am DJ, i hope it comes out good.

18. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Yeah --The gel-coat didn't set properly and the mold stuck to the plug. I guess I did a poor job of laying up the FG on the mold and it broke into 4 pieces when it was removed from the plug.
    I cobbled everything together and I pulled one hull out. The hull was a little crooked and had to have some surgery.

I guess it was a 'learning experience'

19. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well I talked to Rick this morning, and the fellow is in the process of making the mould. He is hoping the first hull will be ready next weekend, if not the weekend after, the cold weather may slow it down a bit.

I can't wait, I have got everything together for her. Wife and Kids got me all the Team Delta stuff for Christmas I asked for, and I have everything else I will need, so it should be a quick build.

Grey wolf is making the turrets, and a full superstructure kit for it, so she should be sweet looking when finished.

20. Bob Pottle

David,
    How does one get in direct contact with Grey Wolf? I've been waiting for GW's improved Vanguard turrets to be available from BC for months since they were announced. No sign of them yet - I'd like to buy them directly from GW if possible.

Bob