Next years challenge...and it was accepted!

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Boatmeister, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

It's been a while since I've posted here. Been doing most of the treaty business on our facebook site and I've been doing a lot of hours at work. One of the last things I want to do is to stare at a computer at home when you stare at a computer at work for 10+ hours a day. Anyway, to spice things up I threw out a challenge to one of our members and he accepted!

The back ground story is I am going to be semi-retiring my Markgraf after many years of service. Am looking to get smaller and lighter due to some back issues cropping up and lugging a 22 pound battleship in and out of the water has been less and less fun as the years go by. So I have some cruisers and a couple of predreads I was going to work on over the winter for next year. After we had our August meet I was trying to figure out how to spice things up. So I threw out a challenge to Josh and his Von der Tann for a one on one against an HMS Lion that I'm going to build over the winter. Here is the actual post:

Hey Josh, got a challenge for you. I will build and finish the Lion for battle next year, You and I will have a one on one in May, and if you sink me, I will pull out the Markgraf and run axis that year.

What do you say? [​IMG][​IMG]

It didn't take long for the bookies to start placing bets and here was his response:

Challenge accepted.

So looks like I'm going to be building another 20+ pound ship for this one. May actually start a build thread on building the ship for the battle. Anyway you look at it, it's going to be a hoot!!!

Oh and Josh...be ready to cover those bets!!!

More to come...

NASAAN101, Beaver and NickMyers like this.
  2. Boatmeister

Hull - check
    Plans - check
    Internals and radio - check and check
    Materials - working on that
    Time to do the build - nope (when granddaughters leave...having to much fun being a human jungle-gym for the 18 month old toddlers ;))

3. Boatmeister

Well now got the most important things inline to go online the end of October: the western front Treaty ship yard. Going to be closing on the house early next month and will finally have a workshop within walking distance (out the door) instead of an 1.5 hour dive. So the work gets started in earnest the month after next!

Lessons learned: never fire up a dremel in an apartment. Some people will think your John Wayne Gacy!

4. Boatmeister

Well the house closing was a bust so looks like I'll be commuting to Scott's for building sessions on the Lion. Making progress on the ship.
    Got quite a bit done this the past weekend. Determined the internal layout, battery placement, prop size and placement along with the water channeling. Also got the shafts and rudders placed. Need to go back and do some tweaking on both but I also got my rudders built for the ship. Still much work to do but making progress. Will be heading back over in a few weeks to get some more work done. Will be starting a build thread once I finally get some pictures of the ship in progress.

Better be doing your due diligence on the Von der Tann there Josh... I'm coming for you!!!!

5. Boatmeister

Got a few vids of the Lion on the water. These were taken a few weeks ago. Decks have first layer of sealant do they were not on the ship at the time.

And appears that the files are to large, so stuck with stills. The bottom pic is of the Markgraf. Took out on trials with lipo's powering the main drive, Hobbywing 60amp ESC driven by a direct drive Johnson. Was wanting to get some trials run on both ships. Both were successful!

Attached Files:

6. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Cool and good luck.
    Sammy

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

videos have to go to an outside host like youtube and then post the link here for an auto-embed.