Nikki's USS Savannah

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by NASAAN101, Jan 8, 2014.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Through one of my friends in the Midwest Naval combat group, I got what turned out to be a Brooklyn Hull! She's got the windows cut out, but I need to finish her off! I uploaded some build photos to the Big Gun group photos folder. I made an album called Nicole's Savannah. You can see it here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups.../125817892..

She's going to be a great little ship!!! Right now it's just a waiting game to get the money i need to get the gear for her. So please bear with me on her. I had hope to have Savannah up and running (unarmed) come Midwest's TF-3 battle in Sept. and her guns in by Next Spring, but sadly that didn't happen, so I'm hoping this year! The 6-volt 4.5AH Brick that's sitting in her in the one photo was a battery I got thinking it would work in my LST but it was too heavy so I might use that, but i also have three RC car batteries. the one is an 1800, that one is a NiCD and the other two are 3300 and a 3800 are NiMH. but I'm not sure if I should have gone higher with them, in terms of AH's! I"m looking at getting maybe 5-more, which will give me 8- total.

Yes, i took on another boat as my Artemis and carrier are close to being done!!! Artemis just needs a bottle and reg. Whereas the carrier needs about the same, and a little more work to her! I just got her back in Jan. and the weather's been so cold/crappy here in Pittsburgh, i haven't really done much on Little Nassau, other than cut the foam and balsa wood for the water-channeling and saving up money for the pump and sheeting stuff for her!! I'm also, thinking about the paint for her, as my Artemis, is painted in a pool party blue, and a cherry red.. A big thank you to Rob Wood, for helping me with it.
    Nikki

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. NASAAN101

Hey Guys,
    Sorry, I haven't given you any updates on Savannah! like i said in the first massage! But I hope to have her up as a surface running, for the DS battle next may, guns in by The four of July battle, and fully combat status for Task force 4!
    Nikki

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nikki, if those NiMH batteries are any good, they're also a good choice for a cruiser battery, since you can swap batteries every sortie.

4. NASAAN101

ya! but i'm getting 3 more of them. also, after talking to a friend, i'm going to do the chain drive on the Rudder, for her!
    Nikki

5. NASAAN101

Hey guys,
    Sorry our not pasting anything in a while, I was hope to have Savannah up and running for the MNCC's denmarck starts battle this year, but it doesn't look like that will happen. My mom has been off work since Aug as she had surgery, so I'm hoping to have Savannah up for the MNCC's task force 4 meet, at least as a surface runner :'(
    Nikki

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Don't stress it Nikki. Life sometimes takes us for unexpected turns and bumps, and sometimes all you can do is hang on for the ride. You'll get her done

7. NASAAN101

Hey guys,
    Dose anyone know what the diffinces is between the E Fire battle kit and the Normal battle kit?? :rolleyes:
    Thanks,
    Nikki

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. NickMyers

For the e-fire kits StrikeModels is using electronic firing boards and solenoids rather than servo actuated valves.

9. NASAAN101

Next question is which is the easies to use?
    Nikki

10. NickMyers

Thats a bit debatable. I think electronics are, but it does mean more wiring work to do and check.

If i were doing only 1 gun i would probably get the turnigy switch and a solenoid to run the gun. If i were trying to save money though I would just set up a servo actuated MAV2 to run the gun.

11. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would consider your comfort level with installing and debugging electronics. A reliable ship with old tech beats an unreliable ship with newer tech any day of the week.

NickMyers likes this.
  12. NASAAN101

I have a turngey switch, but I can the work the guns??
    Nikki

13. NickMyers

You would connect the load side of the switch to the solenoid which in turn controls the air for the gun.

14. NASAAN101

Hey guys,
    BC has a Cruiser firing board, the part number is XR-4C.. I dont know a hole lot about the firing board, so would a be for the moment better off with the servo and poppets..
    Thanks

15. NickMyers

If someone is helping you build this that is experienced, ask them what they feel comfortable with. Otherwise, probably yes, servo and poppets. Its hard to destroy servo & poppets, but electronics are fiddly things and once you release the magic smoke, its just money spent for nothing.

16. NASAAN101

This was something mom asked me can u do two poppits per gun, or is that asking for issues. This is crazy, I'm asking about guns when I don't even have the battle kit..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  17. NickMyers

2 poppets per gun? I'm not sure I follow your question.

18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

One Mav2 poppet per gun.

One servo can fire two poppets. One for each radio stick movement. Up would fire one cannon. Down would fire another. Left and right would use another servo and could fire another 2 cannons.

19. NASAAN101

Guys,
    Is bad I'm talking about the guns when I don't even have her builted :-/
    Nikki

20. NickMyers

Never too early to learn