Nikki's USS Savannah

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by NASAAN101, Jan 8, 2014.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

guys,
    like I said: I've had her for almost 3-years now, And i'm getting sick and tried of getting shot down on building her! Why do all you guys in Ohio think i went to move out there!!
    Nikki

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Nikki, where are you in your builds?

3. NASAAN101

still waiting to get the hull kit and running gear for her. I have the $200.00 I just need $90.00 to send the money order for her!!
    Nikki

4. Captain obvious

Are you only working on one hull right now?

5. NASAAN101

Captain obvious, I have a 1;200 model of the Bismarck that i'm working on two :D but then again, i have all the stuff for her!
    Nikki

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  6. Captain obvious

Very cool. I have so many I want to build and not enough time to build them.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  7. NASAAN101

Captain obvious, She's a cool cruiser, I'm getting two 50-round guns and a 75round gun, and a full and half unit pump outlet!
    Nikki

8. Captain obvious

Is that a size you can battle?

9. NASAAN101

the plan is to put all three guns in the and with the quite disconnects, able to hook the two 50's up and put the fule unit pump in er for IRC and the 75 and 50would be for Treaty!
    NIkki

10. Captain obvious

The Savannah or Bismarck?

11. NASAAN101

My little Savannah :)

12. Captain obvious

Very cool. How you going to set it up?

13. NASAAN101

the plan with the savannah is to put all three guns in the and with the quite disconnects, able to hook the two 50's up and put the full unit pump in her for IRC and the 75 and 50 would be for Treaty!
    NIkki

14. Captain obvious

I see. Could be interesting.

15. NASAAN101

Captain obvious, She's a cool cruiser. and even survivored being hit by a Fritz X bomb in September 1943. here the Stuff on it :'( my lucky little lady. She continued her valuable support until the morning of 11 September 1943, when she was put out of action. A radio-controlled Fritz X glide-bomb had been released at a safe distance by a high-flying German warplane and it exploded 49 ft distance from Philadelphia. Savannah increased her speed to 20 knot or 23 mph as a Dornier Do 217 K-2 bomber approached from out of the sun.

The USAAF's P-38 Lightnings and Savannah's anti-aircraft gunners, tracking this warplane at 18,700 ft, failed to stop the Fritz X bomb, trailing a stream of smoke. The bomb pierced the armored turret roof of Savannah's No. 3 gun turret, passed through three decks into the lower ammunition-handling room, where it exploded, blowing a hole in her keel and tearing a seam in the cruiser's port side. For at least 30 minutes, secondary explosions in the turret and its ammunition supply rooms hampered firefighting efforts.

Savannah's crew quickly sealed off flooded and burned compartments, and corrected her list. With assistance from the salvage tugs Hopi and Moreno, Savannah got underway under her own steam by 1757 hours and steamed for Malta. Savannah lost 197 crewmen in this German counterattack. Fifteen other sailors were seriously wounded, and four more were trapped in a watertight compartment for 60 hours. These four sailors were not rescued until Savannah had already arrived at Grand Harbor, Valletta, Malta on 12 September.

After emergency repairs were completed, Savannah departed Malta on 7 December 1943, bound for the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard by way of Tunis, Algiers, and Bermuda. She arrived at the Naval Yard on 23 December and underwent heavy repair work for the next eight months.

During this period her forward superstructure was remodeled, 4 dual mount 5"/38 caliber turrets replaced her eight single open-mount five-inch naval guns and a new set of up-to-date 20 mm and 40 mm antiaircraft guns were installed. In addition to the new gunnery fit she also received new air-search and surface-search/gunnery radars. After this refit she more resembled her half sister St Louis, than her Brooklyn-class sisters.
    Nikki

16. NASAAN101

Hey guys,
    With with Savannah having a 3inch rudder in IRC. Im get to put her in IRC.
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018