Non pneumatic cannons?

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by modelshipsahoy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I would like to see this mechanical device, tested to see if it can work. CO2 is costly and requires the site host to transport large heavy cylinders.

If a mechanical gun works the same then great. I have been in the hobby a couple of years and have had a bit of experience with gun development, so if you want to include me in a feedback loop great.

Looking forward to the diagrams and pictures .

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

upload_2018-8-18_8-16-46.png
    But really, Chris is right, sorry Butts and others, hope you can make more events in the future

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Jumped on this topic of four pages expecting something awesome, and instead its ?

Build to max of 300, we really are more of a knife fight in a phone booth. We do have insurance so if we suddenly start shooting though the engine block of a '68 daytona we are going to have issues.
    [​IMG]

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

If you are referring to me. Now you have. No shenanigans. I am good at systems and troubleshooting. It’s my stupid human trick. Sure I’ve forgotten a barrel pin until it was on the water and had to back up and pull it out real quick. I’ve never had a fire, air leak in battle, ESC failure, motor die, etc. I am a guy who uses 12-14ga high strand count wire and is always advocating higher rated ESCs.

I also do virtually all the work on all my own cars. All 25 that I’ve had, many have been absolute beaters. I’m putting a new motor in my wife’s car currently. My first car was a ‘61 Falcon that I tuned up, changed all fluids, rebuilt the brakes, and rebuilt the carb with zero experience. Just a few trips to the auto parts store and some questions for the guys at the counter. I’ve also never repaired one of my cars incorrectly. A critical eye and a good feel for things. I’ve never over/under torqued a cork gasket and created a leak.

I have killed a few fish as an aquarist though:-( they are finicky

I’ve fixed innumerable things on the ships I’ve been stationed on that other people couldn’t figure out. For example, an RO unit I’ve had no training in. I knew the principle of operation (my Uncle works in the water treatment industry) and it just made sense. Took me 45min after all of engineering had been beating their head against a wall for about 18hrs.

I have replaced or repaired wiring, motors, shaft couplers, motor mounts, servos, and other bits in the loaners I have used. I virtually never got a perfect boat with fresh batteries and was told to go have fun. My first year in the hobby was using a loaner cargo ship that I was responsible for the battle readiness. With its hawker 2v cells and a rheostat for speed control, lol. I asked a lot of questions and got a real good feel for RC warship systems.

Ask anyone who was at IRC Nats in ‘11 if they remember anything I don’t. Ron H made it clear he was pulling a dusty boat down and bringing it for me to make battle ready. He would patiently answer my questions about best skinning practices (I was used to skinning in 1/16” or 3/32” balsa) and any odd details about his I-boat. I charged/replaced batteries, lunricated everything, system checked it, skinned it (all sorts of silk span wrinkles but it didn’t leak a drop), resealed guns (one had a leak and one wasn’t cycling right, cap was backed off too far), and tweaked guns. It was well built, but there were plenty of potential stumbling blocks.

I wired my Radetzky (first fast gun build) firing switches pondside and promptly launched into a sortie. The channel endpoints made the switches a bit touchy (full stick throw to fire) and the pump had to be throttled down and back up to prime. No failures though.

When you consider my slow and methodical entry to the hobby with the time I have had to arm myself with info, my record isn’t as implausible as it seems. Didn’t we meet in Charleston Kevin? When you and the Bitondo Bros were in Nuke school. Ask those who know me if I seem imperceptive or lacking in any capacity (besides sense of humor perhaps, lol). I tend to be literal and challenge status quo. Skepticism of my record is understood and dismissed with equal ease. I have made dozens of sorties in my own boats. A double handful more in boats that wouldn’t have a chance without the TLC they got beforehand.

If base of experience is what is desired, that is the information I provide. Sure many have done much more with fast gun specifically. I was just illustrating my broad perspective and technical aptitude. I may not be the best or most experienced at one thing. I have done a larger variety of things than many and done them well. I also want to offer a firm rebuttal of skepticism toward my technical abilities. After 13.5yrs of naval service and watching/teaching others I am quite sure I am atypical. A weird bird might be a more appropriate term, lol.

Edit: I had a un-waterproofed rudder servo I threw in right before a battle start getting glitchy after my first sink in my Dunkerque. I pulled in and swapped it out. Not a failure but a near miss. I began “skotchkoting” everything and have never had that issue again.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I used to like biscuits and mustard but now I put skotchkote own it. ummmhmmmmm

buttsakauf likes this.
  6. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Who is butsakauf? Who is geek? Is it rude to ask? Sorry.
    Is there some security reason why we don't use our names?
    Lou, I want that car
    Randy

7. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

...said Sinkamomama???:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ...what kind of made up on line name is RANDY?

8. thegeek

Wandy, been thegeek for 34 years now.
    Put the blunt down, it's time.
    Carl

rcaircraftnut and Panzer like this.
  9. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

• I don't smoke dope, but i drink cough syrup for medicinal reasons. and if you're really Carl, who won nats this year?
    • Only the real Carl would know that, right?
    • Narandy

10. thegeek

Axis won both in counted points and FUN POINTS. The donkey was nice too, a bit too much noise but nice.

Panzer likes this.
  11. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

No worries. On a profile page for a member you can look at the information tab for most peoples name. I just got lazy about signing my posts. I don’t think we have ever crossed paths Randy. However, your reputation precedes you as the life of the party;)
    Mike Butts

Panzer likes this.
  12. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Number of sanctioned/official events attended every IRC nats since 1983 numerous regional battles
    Years of attending sanctioned battles since 1983
    Time since last battle 4 weeks
    Mechanical failure rate at events attended many
    Fractions of battles using ship built by themselves mostly - only an NC built by someone else.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Methinks we're getting a little off-topic here. Since the OP has declined to provide further details at this time, perhaps its time to let this one rest. Without technical details, nobody else can experiment or provide feedback.

14. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Same question to you RANNNNDDDYYYYY on why you are not using your own photo on the left side :)
    Run over any little dogs latel
    Just wing it!
    [​IMG]

15. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

Randiiiii why did you remove your cars passenger seat again?

16. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

?What does OP mean.?
    Why do I keep geting bills from "Dixie Boy Storage" in Amarillo?
    Randys

17. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

I’m OP. LOL.

GUYS...I didn’t mean for any of this escalation. I simply asked IF non-pneumatic cannons shooting.177 BB’s were allowed and how fast can they shoot. That is it.

I didn’t want to give up my design or really even have anyone know I wanted to try something... or bash my face in for even believing I could. I just needed clarification on the rules since no mention of anything other than pneumatics was there. . I really would be doing this to sell them, so what’s the point of giving up my design?

It will be until the long cold winter before I even make my shot at the apparently impossible so just chill people.

buttsakauf likes this.
  18. thegeek

The hobby has a tradition of open design.
    And battle. Seems like both are absent, keyboards can create all sorts of stories.

Beaver and Kevin P. like this.
  19. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Tim just build one and we can test it next year. I will volunteer any of Craig's boat as a test target!
    ....there will be no offended keyboards present.

Panzer and NickMyers like this.
  20. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

...and double standards apparently, since so many people tell me not to build ships others already build, but are chomping at the bit to see the design and replicate my conceptual cannon.

Thanks Geek for clearing that up.

Xanthar likes this.