noob needs help

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by burnzy232, Mar 8, 2010.

1. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

hi all, im a new commer to this hobby and I'im about to start my first build on a ss wollongbar hull,
    however I intend to build a richilieu with all three rear turrets that rotate, depressand of course shoot, now my problem is how to get the two rear, left and right turrets to rotate and then return to their origanal positions i.e. facing back. im trying to solve the problem mechanicaly at this point with slipper pullies and stoppers but i still cant solve the problem, if anyone here has attempted this before help would be very much appreciated,
    the story so far with my attempts: what i want to do is run three turrets off one channel and have them linked up with slipper pullies so that the rear top turret is the master turret so to speak, and the right and left turrets are 'slave' turrets so they point where the top turret is pointing.
    at this piont the top middle turret goes right and the right turret also rotates right and all is right with the world then when i want to rotate them back to their starting position, the left turret rotates left instead of staying were it is, and the top and right turrets are facing back, the opposite happens if i want to rotate the top and left turrets to the left :mad:(shakes fist at sketch on paper).
    help!

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Although I do not currently have an answer to your question. I do have some thoughts on the ship.
    I have seen many a Richelieu class ships in big-gun, and perhaps half of them didn't have the stern secondaries armed at all. Only the mains were armed,
    and those ships were still a very formidable opponant.
    There were also some that did have the after secondary group armed, and these ships were a tuff a ship as one could find on the water. And the stern
    secondary group was fixed, and didn't rotate.
    So I would suggest that you might start your build with the short term intentions of arming the main turrets only, and either not arming the after
    secondary group at first, or possibly arming them, but leave them stationary for the time being. This will allow you more time to come up with some
    ideas as to how you want to make the after group function the way that you want it to, while making progress on the rest of the ship.
    Just my thoughts.
    Mikey

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

As Mikey said, it's not easy to get those stern guns in and isn't required for a deadly ship. In fact, the extra cannons are extra failure points, which may cause you to miss battles or fight at less than optimal effectiveness. That aside, if you really want to do it, it is possible. One way is to use sail-winch servos to control each turret separately, then use a fire control director to coordinate the three turrets.

4. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

hmmm... that does make sence to only arm the mains or mains and the single turret in the rear and get the thing actualy working first, then work on the rear setup, cheers for the advice, ill keep drawing pretty pictures of pullys and servos and try to figure this outo_O.

one other question that someone may be able to answer, could you get this type of three turret set up working through mixxing channels on your radio or is that just even more complicated then a pully and sail winch setup.

keep the ideas and advice comming though and also what is a fire control director:confused:?

5. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

ive just been looking at pics on the NABGO and found a few of the turret setup on a Richelieu where the turrets have been built into removable
    pods, to who ever throught of that idea, you sir are a genius, i would of never have thought of building in this sort of removable modular way and i think i will try use this building technique for all the systems of my build.
    although im not a fan of coping other peoples ideas, i cant see a way out of not using this idea on my ship, this makes that rear turret setup much simpler to work on and make, cheers for the ideas peoples.
    removable turret pods, Absolutely Brilliant !!:) ten thousand super mega whoopy bonus pionts to you sir for comming up with that.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Burnzy, everyone in this hobby is copying the original guy's idea of "let's put bb guns on my model battleship!" Same thing with gun designs, propulsion, and even the ships themselves. We are, after all, copying directly from historical navies. Just think of it this way: copying is the greatest form of flattery. it says "hey dude, you had such a great idea, I think I should do the same!"

good luck with your build, be sure to post pictures :)

7. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

indeed, i will be posting pics of my wollongbar build and in the distant future, of my richelieu build.

8. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

just and update for anyone interested.
    i think ive figured a way to get the turrets to work the way i want,
    firstly the middle rear middle turret will be linked via a pulley to a sail winch servo, this pulley wont slip, just the same as a normal turret.
    then, the left and right turrets will have slipper pulleys that come off the middel turret,
    now to get them to stop rotating and face the same way as the top middle turret, the left and right turrets will have a ratchet system, i intend to use the big gears that are on rc heli's to drive the main blades, but i have to cut out the middle of the gears so all your left with is just a ring of teeth that fit around the magazine.
    now the ratchet will just be a longish, peice of metal or plastic that when the egde of it is pushed against the gears they will jam up and hence stop the turrets rotating.
    now this piece of metal will be infront of the middle turret and attached to the ship the same way that a dual rudder system is, two servo horns, one end of both horns is attached to the slide the middle of the servo horns is atached to the ship so that they can rotate left and right and the other end of the horns will be attached to each other by another piece of metal but only long enough for the length between the servo horns. see the pic below
    [​IMG]
    so when the middle turret rotates right the pin on the turret also moves to the right which moves the servo horns to the right, moving the slide to the left, locking the left turret in place, then when the turret is rotating back from the right to the left the left turret is still locked, then it picks up the servo horns with the rod hence unlocking the ratchet and then the left turret moves to the left with the top turret,
    now while this is happeing, as the top turret moves to the left as it unlocks the left turret it also locks the right turret in its postion which is facing directly back,
    however, the problems with this set up is:
    if the ship is in a richilieu sandwedge, then the rear turrets wont be used to their fullest, i.e. one turret will always be facing back, when i could be facing the ship next to it, so theirs the first falt with this set up, if you can think of others please tell me.

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Good idea using heli gears. I should have thought of that, especially since I have spare gears in the workshop. Heh.

10. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

cheers, i just thought of a simpler setup, srcap the slide and have the servo horns as the ratchets;)