North Texas Battle Group

Discussion in 'North Texas Big Gun (NTXBG)' started by mdtest, Nov 11, 2019.

1. mdtest

mdtest New Member

Greetings from North Texas. Our geographic location blesses us with with the opportunity to battle year round. We have active founding member who joined over 20 years ago. Recently we have returned to battling on a public pond which gives folks a chance to see us do what we do. If you are looking for a hobby which has historical context, requires creative problem solving, test your ability to over come natural forces and and those trying to sink you. Find us at www.ntxbg.org and https://www.facebook.com/groups/NTXBG/ You will find we are willing to provide all the advise and help you need to get that first ship on the water to exchange ball bearings.

1535719_10152130438580129_860919552_n (2).jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

Reminds me of The Lady of the Lake Excalibur scene....

Nibbles1 and jstod like this.
  3. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Ahoy fellow big gunner!
    Greetings from CA!
    Is it hot in Texas?

4. panzerbob

panzerbob New Member

Where about in Texas? I used to be part of the Midwest Battle Group before I moved to ALBQ, NM. I've got the Warspite, the Furious, a MAC carrier, a flower corvette, and a merchant ship sitting in drydock, perhaps its time to return them to the water.

5. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I don't have anything big gun as of yet but as you guys are close to me I may be interested in building something.

6. Gregory White

Gregory White New Member

Hello guys,

I'm looking to start building one. I live in the Houston Area.

Would would be a beginner build? Im pretty crafty with woodworking.

7. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

Bigger seems to be more forgiving (I am no expert), but the real question is. What interests you ship-wise?

8. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Hello, if you are going to build a Big Gun boat from scratch keep it simple, like a reloading torpedo cruiser and not a BB that you will 99% likely not finish. If you have to have a BB find one that has battled and the guns still work and as a beginner, to me the most important thing is a kick ass pump that always works. Also remember this is a complex hobby and you may not master all areas so don't get frustrated and reach out for help.

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

NYXBG is centered in Dallas, and OF COURSE we would welcome you!

I believe there are IRCWCC in Houston too. I’d post in that topic to get contact info!

10. TexasRed

TexasRed New Member

Hello i plan on building a uss texas big gun ship. it'll be my first ship so i don't know when ill finish it but i plan on keeping at it since i need something to keep me occupied. unfortunately, with the source i have found, and that I'm on a MacBook. will it be ok that my ship is about .25in to .50in wider than scale?

11. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Howdy!

I believe your local club is fast gun, so you may want to consider building to those rule sets.. that way you have someone local to shoot at.

If you want to do a Big Gun, we (NTXBG) are "only" a few hours away in Dallas. You are more than welcome to come visit!

Here is a link to our rules, which does allow a 5% tolerance.
    https://ntxbg.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/NTXBG_Rules_of_Construction.pdf

12. Huru MorDae

roughly you got 4/10 of an inch to work with of tolerance on the ship's Beam (width) so as long as you are no more than 8.43" wide you should be ok

13. TexasRed

TexasRed New Member

ok, with how how I'm getting my templates in a physical form ill be about 6.5 inches. maybe 7 max with the hull layed.

14. TexasRed

TexasRed New Member

thanks. unfortunately dallas is waaay to far for me. but thankfully i do want to compete in big gun so that works for me

15. Huru MorDae

that sounds too small, Texas should be about 7.93in wide

16. TexasRed

TexasRed New Member

...craaaap. ok, I'm glad I didn't sink too much time into it. I guess I'll hold off till I find actual good plans. Or I may have to change boats

17. Huru MorDae

I sent you a message sir.