Now Available! Opt-In Member Map

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by NickMyers, Mar 21, 2015.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Now available is a member-map. You can find the link for Captain and Club Locations in the 'Important Information' grouping of subforums.
    This feature is available only to registered users on the site, search engines and other sessions that are not logged in cannot see it. It is purely opt-in. You are not required to participate. It does not take location information from your profile. The opt-in here is you submitting location by clicking 'Create a Location' while in that section and providing the appropriate details. You can be as inexact as you like. I really suggest NOT putting your complete address. City and state or zip code work great.
    When creating a new location you have some choices:

• a Captain location (where you live),
    • a Shop&Recurring Build Day location - for people who frequently host build days or have an open door policy,
    • a Club location (just sort of approximately in the area of your members, this will be incredibly inexact since some clubs are multi-state in coverage),
    • a pond location - any pond you feel is relevant to mark where you sail, or combat events occur.
    You can have as many Locations as you want, so feel free to mark you location, your pond, your shop, your club, etc. If you move, please update your location marker so we don't have incorrect ones hanging out.

One of the major goals here is to be able to better direct new folk to who is in their area. Better direction of new folk leads to more captains, and more captains leads to more fun for all of us. So add your locations!

Lastly, a big thank you to the folk who have been running around with CTD banners for the past week and helping test this feature out: @DarrenScott , @VVaholic, @absolutek, @Cannonman, @WillCover, @Maxspin, and @irnuke.

As usual, if you have questions, concerns, problems, suggestions, etc, feel free to contact myself or one of the RCWC staff.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Nice!....Where is the "create a location" button? It isn't showing up anywhere, tried right clicking on the map with nothing popping up either.

Really nice work guys!

3. NickMyers

*facepalm* sorry, I set a permission wrong apparently. Try again, you should see the button in the upper right. Thanks for catching that.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

It's working now, thank you. This is a really nice feature!

5. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

what a about event location: R\C swaps, Maker fairs, hobby shops where we have a boat on display, And can an expiration date be put on them?

6. NickMyers

There is no current mechanism to set an expiration date (or make a clear event date for that matter). I'd like to expand the functionality down the road to have an event map and calendar though. I could add an event category for the time being, but people would have to manually delete the locations (or update them to the next event), ideally event types would also spawn a discussion thread for the event, but that functionality just isn't here yet.

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Nice job... info added

8. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I
    like the new map locations for the Warship Combat groups ,I should start one here on Vancouver Island and Vancouver with a Facebook page
    GHOST-007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017