Ocean liner madness

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by HMTOlympic, Jun 13, 2012.

1. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

im building the HMT Olympic in 1/144 scale but i dont know what amo to use for the guns she has, they are pretty small. does anybody know what i can use as amo or how to modify bbs to fit?

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Was she armed?

3. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

yes, she had 6 6'' guns, 2 on the forecastle, 2 aside the 2nd hatch, and 2 on the poopdeck. all where in pairs on opisite sides of the ship so none fired centerline more like a diagonal turret ship.

4. Anachronus

Then comes the very pressing point of what Ruleset are you building to and does that allow an armed liner.

5. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

honestly IDK. first i have find a group near jaxsonville FL thats active, i prefure the big gun ruleset. but idk which is best for a lightly armed liner she is only troop transport after all.

6. Anachronus

I know there are some fastgunners in that area but you would be out of luck arming her.

7. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

The Southeast Attack Squadron is right in your area, MWC fast gun rules. Have you gotten in touch with any folks down there? Dave and Don from Battler's Connection aren't very far from you.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You may not be happy with Olympic in fast gun. Even if we called her a Q-ship, she'd have at most 2 guns and a small pump. And a LOT of target area, and poor handling. She just wasn't built to slug it out with warships :(

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

If you want Olympic I know a guy in Colorado that has two that he will sell you.

10. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

does he have a picture of it, and how much is he selling it for+shipping to florida

11. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

actually no, i looked at th list of ppl on this site but they werent on it and idk where they meet. do they meet in a city close to orange park fl

12. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

i would be perfectly happy using her. ik she wasnt built to play with warships she was meant to get troops across th atlantic as fast as possible and had six guns to fend off airplanes and small warships getting close, her guns were built to shoot submarines under th water. she had light armor but mostly to defend against subs. in th combat group sh would basically be a bigger cargo but one that bites back. also idk if th club im about to join uses ram-fitted ships, th Olympic had a history of ramming ships and sinking tham so if all else fails i could ram another ship before mine goes under.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

What I mean is, under the Fast Gun rules, she only gets one (or at most two guns), and she's no longer a convoy, she's a combatant. If Yamato and Iowa only get 7 guns, a Liner with six wouldn't make much sense, ja? If you want to build her to Big Gun, you're going to have a long drive to battle anyone. I'm not trying to pick on you or on Olympic, but it's not a great ship for combat.

14. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    You are talking about Titanic's sister ship? Nice scale model or unarmed convoy but hopeless as a combatant in any rule format. You would never be able to get your gun on target, and would present a huge billboard target for everyone else.
    Ron Hunt