One method of cannon tilt

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by bb_holes, Aug 17, 2014.

1. bb_holes

bb_holes New Member

Here is one method of keeping the USS Constitution's cannons level while heeling. It's not the only way, but this works on the bench (doesn't everything?):
    There is a 20 oz weight hanging from the deck just behind the main mast. It is attached by (2)1/16" rods to arms on the gun trays. The tray arms were made by cutting the dual rudder arm in half since I'll use single arm. Each tray will weigh about 1.1 lb once the cannons are installed. Once connected by the rods, the cannon weights cancel each other out. The system has been tested (on the bench) using 18 oz weights on both trays.
    The first pic shows the gun trays, rods and weight as they would be connected in the ship with the ship and trays flat..
    [​IMG]
    The second pic shows the gun trays, arms and weight as if the ship is heeled.
    [​IMG]
    I've put the links to the two pics below since I don't know if the pics will show up. This is my first post.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Bill_By/Gun_lb_flat.jpg?t=1408288284
    http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Bill_By/Gun_lb_heeled.jpg?t=1408288012
    Bill

2. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

If I could make a suggestion?
    Fitting a pair of rc car oil filled shocks minus the springs to the gun tray arms to dampen any pendulum effect?

3. bb_holes

bb_holes New Member

That is an excellent suggestion. In the ship with the simulated cannon weight, there was not too much pendulum effect, but it was there. An RC car shock should take care of it. There was a lot of pendulum effect when the trays were empty, but it became smaller as the weight was added.

The pictures show the 1/4 ply (left over kit parts) with (5) 2 oz fishing weights. There are (5) weights on the other side too for a total of 20 oz.

4. captainponderous

captainponderous New Member

Excellent work! Will attempt to make this work in my ships. Thankyou !