Open Design Warship Combat?

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 15, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

What if we had a open design format where battlers could design ships, and not just build models of 20th century ones. We could have like catamarans capable of 40plus knots armed with twenty 1/4 inch cannons. Imagine that!

atomicpunk235 likes this.
  2. AdmiralBangerBang

If anyone's interested, please tell me. I've had a couple of interesting warship designs, like a Capitani Romani with a single Yamato-type turret, and I think that multihulls would make perfect destroyers. They're extremely light and fast, but having multiple hulls eliminates the traditional problem with Destroyer type ships, since they never have enough ships inside. Tell me what you think!

atomicpunk235 likes this.
  3. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued. New formats don't seem to get much traction, here, but that's not stopping some of us from trying : )

4. AdmiralBangerBang

Yeah, think about lashing three Fletcher hulls together and strapping some crossbeams on it. Radio control, propulsion and steering components could go in the center, and cannons and torpedoes could be mounted on the outer hulls. I'l see if I can draw up some plans. Spread the word!

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

How would you sink a trihull?

6. AdmiralBangerBang

Angles of attack! You need to come in at an angle that allows your guns to fire at all three hulls. Also, when the outboard hulls get water-laden, they'll sink, and you really only need to sink one and get one leaking badly to drag a ship to the bottom.

7. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

Capsize!

It may not sink right then, but could only fire up and down.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. Volkswagen50

Volkswagen50 Admiral (Supporter)

I love the idea of a class where the only rule might be "make it fit in this size box, make the skin this thick and this much solid area.". You would see some seriously weird stuff while it evolved quickly. Like can-am cars did. A floating Death Island. Sounds fun and potentially expensive.

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, till someone mounts a circular saw on the bow of their ship and accidentally cuts open his opponent's lead acid battery contaminating the pond, etc...

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. Volkswagen50

Volkswagen50 Admiral (Supporter)

It's model ship warfare, not robot wars on water. That's the context of the conversation, and clearly there would be rules for such lunacy. I doubt it's ever going to happen anyway, there just aren't enough people but it's fun to consider the idea.

KeriMorgret likes this.