OPERATION RHEINÜBUNG

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Sep 25, 2013.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

The Xenia site was ample enough for the Hood, the Versailles site is smaller, but I think its still doable, with four large Battle stations ships, and is flat bottom, relatively shallow. The Strassbourg/ Independence have fought in Versailles without much issue in regards to sea room. Smaller pond=more action less maneuvering.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Xenia pond is the one 20' deep in places?

3. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Hopefully you won't need to re-enact Robert Ballard's expedition to find the Bismarck ;)

4. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    We should look into keep the DS Battle At Tom's pond! its a lot bigger and has more space to the ships to move around in!!! and 96scale hood did very well on it
    Nikki

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Correction on the Xenia pond: I heard 12' this weekend. Also, we had many sinks and all ships were able to make it to shore in time.

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Well, almost all of them made it to shore. Note the embarrassed captain hiding his face.
    [​IMG]

7. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

All the Battlestations ships made it to shore...

8. NASAAN101

You got me in there two :') roland wasn't hiding..

9. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

And for the record, I was squatting down a little in that picture due to the weight of the Baden full of water. I would say 4' deep in that part.

10. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I still thing rhe xenia site is the best for the DS battle..
    Nikki

11. Tugboat

The question is WHEN do we do it? It's a pretty good drive for me, so I'd like a minimum of 3 days of excitement if that's doable. Someone suggested August 2014, which gives everyone time to get ships ready, and avoids conflicts with MWCI and IRCWCC Nats, and probably NABGO, too.

12. absolutek

I think in the interest of having lots of people for a three day event, even if it means doing the DS battle at a different time, or doing it twice, having it at a different time may be necessary. Tug does have like, a 12hr drive to OH I think. Even though I'm not building one of the related DS boats (though, it will look good with somebody elses ship currently being built), having a three day event would make it more likely that I'd show up.

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I curse the lack of good steamboat service. ;) It's about 12 hours from New Orleans as well.

14. Tugboat

Nikki, if you want Denmarck Straights in May, you'd better get building a Bismarck yourself, because mine won't be there.

15. NASAAN101

Tuggy,
    That when we try to have it!!! Some times it doesn't always work!
    Nikki

16. absolutek

It won't work next year for the 1/96 version either. It takes time to build these things, and I'm pretty sure Clark won't drive 12hrs with a boat that isn't totally badass.

17. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I'm not trying to be a butt head, I'm just saying ok!!
    Nikki

18. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

The battle will take place when the four respective ships and skippers are ready, regardless of he time of year. I think August is a good time frame for what I have to do, but if it go pushed to the right for any reason of necessity I would have no problem with that. The Versailles site is our personally owned site that we do not need to schedule the event with a property owner outside of the skippers in question. We have another site located in Springfield that is a viable alternative the owner of that property has given us the use of it as we see fit. Their is no structures on the property so that would have to be taken in consideration. We have reinacted the DS batte on the commemorative dates in 1/144. We do Not have to have the DS 1/96 battle on the historic dates. When tugboat is ready that's when it's going to happen. The plan tenitivly is August

19. NASAAN101

that's cool! But I thing it would be a fun battle, and I hope to make both!! and Hoping with my mom in toe as well!!
    Nikki

20. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

By the way, we found out during the battle that the Hood did fine on one motor. For some reason, one of the ESCs didn't arm during the first sortie, so only one prop was turning. The Hood was still able to make speed and complete the battle. So running a 96 scale Bismarck with only the center prop powered is a possibility with the same motor/prop combination.