Opinion on the most formidable/ never laid ship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Cannonman, May 13, 2008.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Naw! The Death Star that floats.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Dan, I want PHOTOS! :)

3. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

What do you want miricles. I am all thumbs on this machine. I am a heavy equipment operator. Brute force not finness.UGG! I will see what I can do. I put a book on a thread that there was a small picture of this vessel and the stats. I have been thinking of opening about books that might interest people. Where do you think a thread like that should be located?

4. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

here is a what was to be with bommers and fighters
    [​IMG]

5. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Hooo-Leeee......Uh , well, thats a big ship.

6. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

u you cant sink ice

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

No ,but you can crack pieces off of it.

8. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

not Pykrete http://www.simegen.com/writers/lois/pykrete.htm

9. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Ok. Even if this a British Bomb. What about a Talley-Ho bomb that the British droped on the Tirpitz or that German guided bomb that destroyed the Roma?

10. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

the walls were 40 or 50 feet thick. 1 or 6 holes its wont sink it ice some water all patched up.just cant go south with it
    maybe fire bombs but it it dose have its own airforse with bommers
    that will go alot more

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Joker, read the wikipedia article on pykrete :) It's not invulnerable to explosions... just resistant. Any bomb you drop on it will crack pieces off, and bigger bombs will crack bigger pieces off, and blow craters. If I were trying to take down a pykrete CV, I'd concentrate my attacks on one side (a lot like the USN did to the Yamato, telling the TB pilots to fire their torpedoes from only the port (stbd?) side, to encourage it to capsize. Key point, as soon as you put a few big craters in the runway, it's not a carrier anymore. Yes, they can fill the holes with ice and wait a few hours (As long as they are in cold enough weather), but I can keep bombing a ship that does 3 knots (and steers v. poorly) all day, every day, giggling so hard I have coffee coming out my nose while I pull the release lever on my bombs.

Also, as Dan pointed out, the Brits had Tallboy bombs that would have been very evil to the ice queen. Put a time delay fuse on the bombs and they smash thru the top deck to the inside and explode within the hull, which would be very bad, I assure you, even assuming that the fuel and munitions didn't go off.

The site you linked to has a very interesting experiment, but it doesn't prove your point. That piece of pykrete was shot with a single nonexplosive round, and nearly a quarter of it was vaporized. If that doesn't sound bad, visualize a quarter of of a main battle tank being blown off. Or a quarter of a battleship. That's lethal to a combatant. While the damage isn't directly scalable, it does show how easy it is to blow chunks off a piece of pykrete.

Pykrete was not the answer, which in the end, is why it didn't get built. A powerful CV that goes 3 to 6 knots is not a threat to a fleet, as its reach is only as good as its planes' fuel tanks. While its moving to attack my fleet, I steam at 30+ knots, and bomb the hell out of whatever is most dear to the ship (like cities, or the base it came from, or aircraft factories, etc). and wait for the pycarrier to run out of fuel for its planes and food for its frozen sailors! Mobility FTW!

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

It wouldn't be bad for patrolling for U-boats in the middle of the Atlantic. It would be very useful if it could handle long range planes like B-24's. You have to keep it out of range of enemy air power, though.

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Gascan. If you look at that illustration of that thing that is called an aircraft carrier,it looks like a B-17 on it.