Phoenix Torpedoes

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by John Clayborn, Oct 13, 2008.

1. John Clayborn

John Clayborn New Member

Well, I set out on a venture to build a torpedo system not knowing that Tugboat was already working on one. My primary goals were to make a torpedo system that was light weight, has reusable ammo, and is cost effective. I mean, let's face it, 1/4" balls are heavy and not very hydrodynamic. Like Tugboat's system, my system is also rod-based. Unlike Tug's system my system is completely pneumatic. It also is reloadable "at sea". The system fires custom-made torpedoes (.17 cents ea). These torpedoes float and they are magazine fed. This gives my 1/144 destroyers a little more punch without adding to much weight above-decks. The main reason I was working on it though was for use in a submarine. Under this system I can fire torpedoes that travel more than 40' in the water (that how long the pool is and they go all the way across it and hit the wall on the far end). I still have to test penetration power, which I expect to be far closer than that, but it does reload "at sea". Using this method the Gato that I have in production can carry about 8 shots. I have 9 different prototype torpedoes that I am testing out. ...there were 12, but I eliminted 3 as they are too heavy. All of mine are blunted dome-shaped rods. I'll be kind of busy for the next week or so, but as soon as I get a chance to conduct some more testing I'll post an update.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

you sound like you know what your doing. Very cool, it makes me kinda wish that fast gun torpedoes were allowed.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Keep us posted. Do you have any photos?

4. John Clayborn

John Clayborn New Member

I dont have a working camera at the moment, but I'll try to snap some photos over the next few days.

5. Bryan

Bryan Member

Will you be selling systems then or plans for these?

They would be neat to try even if not in combat.

6. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

John

You have stimulated interest. I hope to be on the receiving end when we meet next year. Sinking is good for the soul.

7. John Clayborn

John Clayborn New Member

Once I prove it's effectiveness I'll construct systems for sale and I'll most likely end up just giving the plans away...I'd rather have everyone benefit from it.

And Dan...I look forward to it. ;)

TorpCruiser likes this.
  8. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I knew you would. I do not make brash statements about what I do to people. I love to get in the water and retrieve models. It just happens to be mine half the time.

9. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully everyone else here will too, when I release my current video project, featuring underwater photos and video (it might be a bit until I get a few more elements I want to add, be patient). You'll see what I see, searching through the deep until a ghost looms out of the weeds, the dance of sunlight through the waves, the snails and fish. Swimming for your own ship is a pleasure only surpassed by swimming for your opponents ship.

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

If you recall people would make statements Never been sunk;never surrendered. When it finally happend you found out just what they were made of. I always thought there should be an OLD YELLOW STAIN trophy/award. I think though of the action that was done in front of the members is enough punishment

11. Mark

Mark Active Member

any more development on the torpedo system yet?

12. CPT. Jr

CPT. Jr Member

It sounds great, by chance do you know its penetration power with balsa, or its rate of declanation underwater?

13. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

A little thread necromancy here... Really a cool idea. I hope there was/is someone in contact with this fella who can find out if serious implementation ever happened. If the project has stalled it would be cool to see it restarted. Especially with the new Battlestations developments.
    Das Butts

TorpCruiser and Anvil_x like this.
  14. TorpCruiser

TorpCruiser Active Member

Any further info?