Photo Gallery Ranking system

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Jan 7, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What is the best way to rank photos?

You can do it purely on the average rating, but then a photo with only one vote @ 100% will surely win.

You could create a cut off point of say 100 votes, & then start the ranking.

You could create a mathematical equation to "weight" the photo's rank with number of votes.. but if one photo gets 10000 votes @ 10%; it could beat a 100% photo @ 1500 votes. Unless someone has a better weighting system than I can think of.

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

Majority rules my friend. Take your membership and each gets a vote. Tally and find your winner. I woudl suggest more then one thing to vote on:

Most Artistic -
    Nicest Firing display caught on film -
    Prettiest Sink -
    Best overall photo -
    T-Shirt award (funniest)

You know something to think about.

Cheers!

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A very interesting question. I faced the same issue when trying to decide which captain had the highest success rate (victories divided by total sorties). Several skippers had one or two sorties, and won both for a 100% success rate. Others had ten sorties and won half, for a 50% rate. In the end, we set a minimum number of sorties to enter the competition, then used success rate to determine victories. In this case, say only pictures with 20 or more ratings will be considered, then use the average rating to determine the winner.

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Carl, what happens when more votes start tallying up? increase the minimum number?

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

So each picture gets a rating, and then when the pic passes 20 it is considered. What if all the pictures are viewed by the say 40 members we have. Would it then be the number of stars the picture gets? Say there are twenty pictures. Each gets voted on by each of our members. The way the vote is done is out of five stars and only five count. So, each pic would recieve stars and the best one would recieve the top number of stars. In the event of a tie the next thing to check would be number of 5 counts, then four counts and so on.